xxiii.

116 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

"I THINK HE LOOKS LIKE ME," ALAYNE SAYS AS SHE ROCKS HER NEWBORN NEPHEW IN HER ARMS. Alicent looks at her sister amused, knowing that her sister and son bore little resemblance. Alayne knew it as well, but she quite enjoyed claiming that her niece and nephew looked like her.

"I think he looks quite like a babe," Alicent tells her. Alayne looks over at her sister and smiles.

"I think he looks as I did when I was a babe," Alayne responds and Alicent lets out a laugh.

"I cannot believe that you sailed all the way from Storm's End to hold him," Alicent responds.

Alayne looks up from her nephew and at her sister. The birth of her nephew was not the only reason that Alayne had returned to the capitol, though it was one of the reasons. Following the wedding feast, King Viserys had been desperate to placate Lord Boremund for the loss of his son so he'd offered him a position on the small council. Boremund hated King's Landing and wanted nothing to do with it, so he sent his son and daughter-by-law instead.

Brandon and Alayne had been married not too long after the nightmare that had been the wedding feast. As had Laenor and Rhaenyra. The seven-day wedding festivities that had originally been planned were swept under the rug, with the two of the getting married with only a few witnesses before disappearing off to Dragonstone where they spend their days riding their dragons and their evenings in separate beds.

Alayne and Brandon did not sleep in separate beds, but their marriage was not a true one as they hadn't consummated it yet. Alayne still held the fear of childbirth and despite seeing her older sister successfully deliver several times, she feared that she would suffer the fate of Queen Aemma.

Brandon had not pressured her into doing anything. On the eve of their wedding, he'd told her that he would follow her lead in the marriage. Should they want to give their marriage a real try or if they wanted to keep things open, it was all up to her.

"Actually," Alayne states, "My good father sent us to take the council position His Grace offered."

Alicent is surprised by the news, "So you will be staying?"

"For now," Alayne responds as she looks down at Aemond, "I figured you could use assistance since you're never good when they're first born."

"I won't take offense to that," Alicent says, "But I will not pretend that I am not happy that you're here."

"I am happy to be here," Alayne says, her lips curling up in a smile, "I never thought I'd be there for the birth of my niece and nephews."

"Nor I," Alicent responds, "I certainly thought you'd miss this one."

"Do not count me out, older sister," Alayne responds as she reaches up and gently traces her nephew's cheek, "How is Aegon?"

"He is four," Alicent states, "He does what four-year-olds do."

"His High Valyrian?" Alayne wonders, still looking at Aemond.

"He is four," Alicent repeats, "I can barely get him to speak in complete sentences and you want me to teach him another language?"

"You don't have to do anything. There are people that will do it for you, like your younger sister," Alayne says as she meets Alicent's surprised gaze.

"You know High Valyrian?"

Alayne nods her head and looks down at Aemond, "Rhaenyra taught me."

Alicent stares at her sister before looking away, "She and Laenor are here."