xxxvi.

127 A.C.
DRIFTMARK
•••

ALAYNE LOOKED DOWN AT THE BEACH WHERE SHE SAW DAEMON STANDING THERE. SHE MADE HER WAY over to the cobblestone stairs and she climbed down to join him. She didn't say anything as she stood beside Daemon, looking out at the waves.

"She asked for you," Daemon says, and Alayne's heart aches in her chest as she looks down at the sand, "She wanted to entrust you with her most prized possessions. Our daughters."

"She doesn't need to entrust me with them," Alayne says as she shakes her head, "They have you. Their father."

Daemon scoffs as he looks down at Alayne, "Do you honestly think Lord Corlys and Princess Rhaenys are going to trust me with Baela and Rhaena? They didn't even trust me with their own daughter."

"Daemon-"

"I'm sure that you blame me for Laena's death," He says as he looks away from Alayne and back at the sea, "I certainly blame myself."

Alayne stares at Daemon's side profile, brows furrowed. She'd always hated Daemon. Rhaenyra aside, she never believed that he loved Laena, simply that he was using her because of her name and breeding. But looking at him now, he gave the appearance of a man lost and broken. An appearance that could only come from a man that was once in love.

She did want to blame Daemon for this. However, she knew it was wrong. She knew that it was no more Daemon's fault than it was the babe's. There was no one to blame in situations like this aside from the gods.

Alayne swallowed and tore her eyes away from Daemon, "I do not blame you."

"Don't lie to me," Daemon orders harshly, "You despise me and now – now I've finally given you a reason to kill me."

Alayne looks over at Daemon and she takes a step back as he grasps the hilt of his sword, pulling it from its sheath and throwing it into the sand. Alayne looks down at it and then at Daemon.

"Do it," he says pointing at the sword.

Alayne's eyes widen, "What?"

"You want revenge for what happened thirteen years ago between Rhaenyra and I. You want revenge for me marrying Laena. For me taking her from you. Take it," Daemon says as he points to the sword, "Drive it through my chest."

Alayne shakes her head, "Are you mad?"

"Alayne," Daemon says shaking his head, tears slipping from his eyes and his cheeks growing red, "I cannot do this without her. I will ruin my daughters. I do not – I do not know what to do."

"And so you want to take the easy way out?" Alayne asks, "Daemon-"

"I loved her," he says, "She made me better. Without her, I will be the shell of the man that I once was. I am better off dead anyway."

Alayne looks at Daemon and then she kneels down and grabs the sword. Daemon watches her, but he doesn't seem frightened. Alayne looks at the sword. Dark Sister was her name, Valyrian steel which had once belonged to Visenya Targaryen.

"You want to die?" Alayne asks him before shoving the sword into his chest, "Do it yourself. But it is a coward way out. There are two girls in that castle that just lost their mother, and you want them to mourn their father as well? That is selfish and yes I've never been quite fond of you, but I have respected you because you are tenacious. You cannot possibly be the same man who denied assistance in the Stepstones."

Daemon stares at Alayne and places his hand over her own as he takes the sword from her and sheaths it.

"Laena knew the risk of carrying your child," Alayne states, "She accepted it. Do not dishonor her decision. And do not dishonor yourself. No parent would ever willingly abandon their child."