lvii.

133 A.C.
WINTERFELL
•••

ELISSA LEANED AGAINST THE RAILING OF THE BATTLEMENTS OF WINTERFELL, A SMALL SMILE ON HER LIPS. THERE WERE TINY FLURRIES FALLING and for a girl who'd lived in the south all her life, it was a beautiful sight. However, for everyone else in Winterfell, the sight was underwhelming.

"You are an early riser," Cregan says as he joins Elissa on the battlements, "My men don't even wake this early for a hunt."

"I heard that it would snow," Elissa says, trying to contain her excitement, "I've never seen it before."

"This is not snow," Cregan tells her with a laugh.

"It is to me," Elissa responds and Cregan simply laughs at her, shaking his head.

He looks down at the courtyard below, chewing on the inside of his cheek, "I thought a lot about what you said in the Godswood."

"And?" Elissa asks as she looks at him.

"And," Cregan says, "The North is Queen Rhaenyra's. And I will fight for her, as will my men. I know what it's like to have your birthright taken from you. I sympathize with her cause."

Elissa smiles, "The Queen will be happy to hear it."

Cregan nods his head, "I suppose that means you're leaving soon?"

"Our work here is complete," Elissa responds, "And my family probably needs me. There are secrets to learn."

Cregan laughs softly and nods his head, "Well then I suppose I should have held out my decision a little longer."

Elissa smiles as she looks at Cregan, "I told you I have no intentions of getting used to the cold. However, it is more beautiful than I would have believed."

"Southerners rarely do see it," Cregan responds, "But there is real beauty here. Wild and uncouth. You just have to have an eye for it."

Elissa smirks, "And do you have an eye for beauty Lord Stark?"

Cregan smiles and opens his mouth to answer the question when a maester joins them on the battlements, "My Lord, a raven."

Cregan takes the letter from the maester before noticing that it was a Baratheon seal. He looks over at Elissa and hands it to her.

"I believe it's for you."

Elissa's brows furrow as she accepts the letter. She breaks the seal, and she instantly recognizes her sister's handwriting. She reads over the letter once, but her mind blanks after reading her father was killed that she has to read it a second time to learn that it was Beric who had killed him.

Elissa breathes out a sigh as she looks at the flurries of snow. Cregan looks at her knowing that based on her reaction the news was not good.

"My um my father was murdered by my brother who now declares himself Lord of the Stormlands," Elissa shares with Cregan.

"I'm sorry," Cregan says, unsure of what else to say. What could one possibly say in that situation?

"It is fine," Elissa says as she rolls the letter up, "I have to go inform Prince Lucerys."

Elissa walks toward the stairs of the battlements, passing by the maester as she goes. They both watch her. Cregan could recall the death of his father. He had at least shed a tear, but Elissa9 had such a controlled reaction.

He headed into the castle where Luke was eating breakfast in the Great Hall, laughing, and smiling. Elissa took a deep breath as she made her way over to Luke. He noticed Elissa's somber expression and his smile melted away.