iv.

110 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

"GOOD MORROW, YOUR GRACE!" ALAYNE GREETS AS SHE ENTERS THE QUEEN'S CHAMBERS. Queen Aemma fans herself as the young girl practically skips over to her. She'd noticed a change in Alayne's behavior over the last two moons. She seemed happier and less combative when she was dismissed. Aemma had figured it was because she had made up with her sister and had begun to spend more time with Alicent.

"You're in a good mood," Aemma observes.

"Yes well as the Heir's Tourney draws near, as does the end to your torment," Alayne says as she takes a seat beside the queen, "Soon we'll be back to walks in the garden and perhaps we can take breakfast outside the apartment."

"You act as though you are suffering this pregnancy with me, Alayne," Aemma states with a laugh.

"I have been," Alayne says, "And while my sister and I have made up, you are still my closest friend and confidant."

Aemma chuckles at Alayne's words, "And is there something you need to confide in me?"

"That I am ready for you to give birth," Alayne says with a smile.

Aemma smiles but it slowly slips away as she looks down at her pregnant stomach, "You know someday this will be your duty."

Alayne nods her head, "I am aware. But do know that I intend to put it off for as long as possible."

"I'd expect nothing less," Aemma says with a chuckle, "Has your father spoken to you of any marriage arrangements?"

"No, I think with my mother's death still so fresh he's holding off," Alayne answers, "Besides if anyone is getting married first, it's Alicent. She's the oldest."

"Only by a year," Aemma responds.

"Then I shall wed a year after her, as I was born," Alayne responds and Aemma shakes her head.

"Stubborn girl." Alayne laughs at the queen's words as she looks down at her fingers, the skin around them healing. Recently she'd developed another habit where she would anxiously twirl at her hair instead. It was something the Queen had instructed she do instead, rather than harming herself.

"Is there anyone you'd like your father to make a match with?" Aemma asks. Alayne chuckles softly at the question. She noticed the stares of the men at court, but none of them interested her. Though she could recall a time when she was younger and the Baratheons were visiting King's Landing. Borros and Brandon had played with her when Alicent and Rhaenyra refused to. It was during their visit that Rhaenyra had pushed Alayne into the mud.

"Not at the moment," Alayne replies before looking up thoughtfully, "Though I do remember the Baratheon boys, Borros and Brandon. Brandon was always kind."

"I hear that they're coming to the tourney," Aemma states, "Mayhaps there's something there?"

Alayne snorts, "I doubt it."

"You never know, Alayne," Aemma tells her and though Alayne wasn't entirely fond of the conversation topic, she did find herself enjoying it. It felt like the conversation a mother and daughter might have. She wondered if Rhaenyra ever discussed this with the queen.

"Do you and Rhaenyra ever discuss these things?" Alayne asks curiously.

"On occasion, but she is more averse to marriage than you are," Aemma responds and Alayne smiles at the comment.

"Where is the princess?"

"She's off with Syrax," Aemma informs her, "She always gets nervous around this time of the pregnancy."