xxi.

115 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

"YOU NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR CHAMBERS," ALAYNE ORDERS AS SHE PLAYS WITH RHAENYRA'S FINGERS, HOLDING THEM UP AGAINST THE LIGHT. Rhaenyra refuses the order as she tries to bury herself deeper within Alayne's bed and Alayne herself.

"No," Rhaenyra responds, "I want to stay here forever."

Alayne laughs softly, "You cannot. They will be looking for you and how do you explain being in my chambers?"

"I had a nightmare, and I was in desperate need of comfort," Rhaenyra says as she looks over at Alayne who simply raises a brow.

"And the naked part?" She asks.

"It's said to help with nightmares," Rhaenyra says with a shrug and Alayne stares at her before she lets out a loud laugh.

"You are foolish," Alayne responds affectionately as she laces their fingers together.

"I am your fool," Rhaenyra says.

"My fool needs to return to her chambers," Alayne says as she lets go of Rhaenyra's hand and climbs out of bed. Rhaenyra watches as Alayne grabs her clothing and begins to dress again and she frowns at the sight before finally forcing herself out of Alayne's bed and begins dressing.

"A kiss before I go?" Rhaenyra asks and Alayne smiles as she practically skips over and kisses Rhaenyra passionately.

"I shall see you later," Alayne mutters against Rhaenyra's lips. Rhaenyra steals one last kiss before she sneaks out of Alayne's chambers and heads back to her room. Alayne takes the opportunity to ready herself for the day.

Alayne took breakfast with her sister and noticed the way that Alicent had not touched her breakfast. Her sister was normally tense after nights spent with the king, but usually, there was an attempt to make conversation.

"Has something happened?" Alayne asks as she looks over at her older sister.

"You would not believe me if I told you," Alicent responds.

Alayne places her fork down and wipes her mouth with a napkin, before shrugging, "Try me."

"Apparently one of father's spies caught Rhaenyra and Daemon being intimate in a pleasure house," Alicent says.

Alayne is reduced to silence at the words. She doesn't know what to say. Her mind tries to process it and her first instinct is to deny that. It certainly isn't true. There is no way that it could be. Rhaenyra loves her. She would not go to the pleasure house and fuck Daemon.

"Are you sure this isn't father's attempt to ruin Rhaenyra and place Aegon on the throne?" Alayne asks, trying to keep her expression and tone as level as possible.

"No," Alicent replies, "He said that there were several servants that saw her reentering the castle late at night dressed as a page."

And that blew right through Alayne's wall of denial. She felt sick to her stomach. That explained the over-eagerness. The lack of shyness. She'd already gotten intimate with Daemon. So why even bother coming to Alayne's chambers? Why had she begged for her to touch her?

"Have you spoken to her?" Alayne asks her sister.

"I intended to," Alicent says as she looks at her untouched food, "I just – I don't know what I'm going to say."

"I'm sure you'll find the words," was all that Alayne could say because she truly did not know how to handle the betrayal she was currently dealing with.

"You don't mind if I excuse myself, do you?" Alicent asks as she stands from her seat.

"No," Alayne responds, "I was going to talk to father anyway."