xlvii.

132 A.C.
DRAGONSTONE
•••

ALAYNE ROCKED VISERYS IN HER ARMS, MAKING FACES AT THE NEWBORN. One might have thought she birthed the boy from her own womb the way that she didn't spend any time away from him. It took much convincing from Rhaenyra to get Alayne to let the boy rest in his crib and not in Alayne's arms.

"You are named for Queen Visenya," Alayne tells him, "She and her sister Rhaenys conquered Westeros. But all of the credit went to Aegon who received the title of conqueror. It's unfair but know that your name is one of strength and power."

Rhaenyra enters the room, watching as Alayne walks back and forth, holding Viserys close to her. A smile spreads on her lips at the sight as she pushes herself off of the wall.

"Is he a good conversationalist?" Rhaenyra asks. Alayne turns and smiles at the sight of Rhaenyra. She walks over and reaches out, stroking Viserys head and pressing a kiss to the side of Alayne's head.

"He's the best," Alayne responds as she looks down at the babe, "Aren't you?"

"You know it's quite humorous," Rhaenyra says, "You are this intimidating woman, but put a babe in your hands and you are as soft as they come."

"I am not!" Alayne insists. Rhaenyra quirks an amused eyebrow and Alayne sighs as she looks at Viserys, "He's just so small and helpless and he looks like you."

Rhaenyra laughs, "Oh there's nothing wrong with it, my love. Simply an observation."

"Yes well you cannot tell my enemies my weakness or else they'll use it against me," Alayne says softly.

"I wouldn't dream of it," Rhaenyra says as she steals a kiss from Alayne who gasps in response.

"Rhaenyra! Not in front of the babe!" Alayne exclaims dramatically and Rhaenyra laughs as she takes Alayne's face into her hands and plants kisses all over it, making Alayne laugh.

"Not to interrupt this joyous moment," Daemon says from the doorway, "But Jacaerys has just arrived in Dragonstone."

"Oh wonderful," Rhaenyra says as she looks at Alayne, "Perhaps he can give us information on how Cassana's courtship is going."

"Is it a good thing if he's here?" Daemon asks, "Perhaps he's been sent home."

"In favor of who?" Rhaenyra asks.

Daemon shrugs his shoulders as he wraps an arm around Rhaenyra's shoulders, "Someone that isn't inheriting the Iron Throne."

"Cassana and Jace are perfectly suited," Rhaenyra says as she looks over at Alayne, whose attention was focused on Viserys, "Aren't they Alayne?"

"Yes," Alayne agrees not looking away from Viserys, "Perfectly suited."

Daemon chuckles as he looks at Alayne, "Viserys's first word will be mama and it will not be directed toward Rhaenyra."

"Hush," Rhaenyra says as she shoves Daemon in the arm. They enter the great hall, where Jace greets everyone. Falia, who hasn't seen Jace in ages, embraces the older teen and he smiles as he picks her up and twirls her.

Jace notices his mother as he sets Falia down and a smile crosses his lips at the sight of her, "Mother!"

Rhaenyra holds her arms open and Jace hugs her. Rhaenyra clings to her oldest son and kisses him on the side of the head. Jace takes a step back and looks at her with a smile. He then looks over at Daemon who smiles and gives him a pat on the shoulder.

"Jacaerys," Rhaenyra says, "I'd like you to meet your brother, Viserys."

"After grandsire," Jace states as he looks at his brother, "Well he looks as healthy as an ox."