xxv.

116 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

ALAYNE WANTED TO DIE. WHAT HAD SHE BEEN THINKING? GETTING PREGNANT? HAVING A CHILD? It was by far the worse decision she'd ever made. The pregnancy had been easy. There had been little discomfort which made her believe that she was carrying a girl. She and Brandon had discussed names, but Alayne knew that she wanted her children to have strong names.

However, the happiness of her pregnancy dissipated once her labor pains began.

"The maesters say that things are going smoothly," Brandon says as he holds her hand, "The baby should be here by dusk."

Alayne looks over at her husband and suddenly she didn't want to die, instead, she wanted to kill him for it was he who had done this to her.

"I hate you," Alayne says as she looks Brandon in the eye, "If I could mount your head on a spike I would."

Brandon's brows furrowed at the words, and he appeared extremely hurt, but Alayne didn't feel guilty. She wished that he could feel an ounce of the pain that she was currently experiencing. She would prefer taking a slashing over her other eye than suffering through this prolonged agony.

"She does not mean that," Alicent tells Brandon, "It's the labor pains talking."

"No," Alayne says, "It is I who is talking!" Alayne looks at her older sister, "You've done this three times? Fucking how?"

Alicent smiles as she looks at Alayne, "It's because I had you at my side."

"Oh, that is fucking bullshit!" Alayne exclaims as her pain seemingly increases. Her hold on Brandon's hand tightens and the young lord begins to wince. Alayne's breathing grows more labored and she shakes her head, "I don't want to do this anymore."

"You cannot stop now," Alicent insists, "The babe will be here before you know it-"

"Oh, stop being fucking positive about the situation!" Alayne yells as she lets out another pained yelp. This pain was different from the previous pain she'd been feeling.

Something felt wrong. She looked over at Brandon and squeezed his hand to get his attention, "Brandon, I think something is wrong. I think something is wrong with our baby."

Brandon looks at her concerned, "What do you mean?"

"I do not know I-" Alayne winces again in pain, "Brandon, something is wrong!"

Brandon looks down at the midwife who was looking up at him already. Alicent glanced over as well, and she could see the blood that was covering her hands. She swallowed anxiously as she looks over at Brandon.

Alayne notices the looks and her brows knit together in worry, "What is it?"

"I do not know," the midwife admits.

"What do you mean you do not know?" Alayne asks before she screams again in pain.

"I mean the babe is stuck, I – I do not know how to get it out!"

"Go get a maester!" Brandon orders and the girl nods her head before taking off out of the room. Alicent took a peek at the sheets, and she could see the blood that was staining them. She tried to keep a stoic expression as she looked back at her sister.

"Everything is going to be okay," Alicent reassures her sister.

But Alayne's mind has already gone straight to the worst. This was where she died. This was not how she wanted to go out. It was the worst death a woman could have and Alayne could not help but think of the life she had not yet lived.