xl.

131 A.C.
STORM'S END
•••

CASSANA AND ARGELLA WERE IN THE STORM'S END COURTYARD WITH ONE ANOTHER PRACTICING THEIR ARCHERY and discussing Argella's latest conquest. Cassana let out a laugh as her arrow hit the center target.

"I'm surprised you didn't see her. She tripped sneaking out of my room," Argella says with a smile.

"I didn't see her but I'm pretty sure I heard her," Cassana says with a smile.

"There you are Cassana," the sisters turn to see Elissa approaching them, "Or should I say Queen Cassana."

"You know," Argella says as she lowers her bow, "The best part of my life was when you couldn't speak."

"The best part of mine was when you didn't exist," Cassana says and Argella snorts beside her sister.

"You're both so charming," Elissa says, "A trait that will make for a wonderful lady and queen."

Argella rolls her eyes, "I suppose this is the part where Cassana and I ask what you are talking about."

"It is," Elissa states, "Princess Rhaenyra came to visit while we were on Falia's nameday hunt. She wants Cassana to be Jace's queen."

"Jace?" Cassana asks, "Gross."

"I think he's quite handsome," Argella says as she looks at Cassana.

"He is, but he's a jerk," Cassana states, "He gave Aemond a pig before he claimed Vhagar."

"He was a boy," Argella says, "They do stupid things. He's older now. More mature. I'm sure he'd treat you well. Not to mention you'd be queen someday."

"I don't want to be queen," Cassana says, "Aunt Alicent is miserable. The queen before her was butchered for an heir. The queen before that was-"

"Alysanne Targaryen," Elissa says, "One of the greatest queens Westeros has ever seen and you fly her dragon. Seems quite symbolic to me."

Cassana narrows her eyes at Elissa, "Because you're a power-hungry little gremlin."

"And you're not power-hungry enough," Elissa retorts.

"How do you think our family has gotten where it is? It's because mother and father know limits. You can always go further but the smartest person knows to consolidate power and not overreach," Argella tells her sister.

"She's right," Cassana states, "I've claimed Silverwing. There is no reason for me to be Queen. I'm going to take Aunt Alicent up on her offer and I'm going to court lords of interest. Have fun being young, beautiful, and free."

Argella places a hand on Cassana's shoulder, "Don't limit yourself to simply lords, sister. The ladies are quite delightful as well."

"Oh yes," Cassana says, "You know I've always found Lord Massey's daughter Jeyne to be quite beautiful. Perhaps she'll let me do my best Argella impersonation. I'll press her gently against the wall and then she'll let me steal a kiss."

"I do not do that," Argella says.

"You're right," Elissa says, "She stares at them across the room, working those big blue eyes."

Elissa starts making faces and Cassana lets out a loud laugh while Argella frowns at her sister's mocking.

"I don't do that either," Argella retorts.

"I wonder when you'll meet your match," Cassana says, "The mythical one who cannot be seduced."

"Or, even better," Elissa says, "The mythical one who seduces Argella."