liv.

133 A.C.
STORM'S END
•••

ARGELLA BARATHEON CAN RECALL THE DAY THAT HER PARENTS TOLD HER THAT SHE WAS THE HEIR TO STORM'S END. IT HAD BEEN AFTER HER THIRD NAMEDAY. It had been a big celebration. Many lords of Storm's End had gathered to celebrate the young girl. They also celebrated Cassana who had been born just a few moons prior.

It had been a day of tourneys, feasts, and dancing. Argella couldn't recall a time she had laughed so hard. And as the celebrations ended and Beric and Cassana were put down for bed, Brandon and Alayne came into her room and told her.

"Those men will be loyal to you someday," Alayne had stated, "They will protect you. They will go to war for you. They will die for you. And in return, you must protect them. Defend them. If you do that then they will return their loyalties tenfold."

Now at the age of three Argella didn't really understand what her mother was saying. But as she grew older, she learned. She learned what it meant to lead. To listen. To care. She watched as her parents established relationships with their vassals and did the same.

Argella knew that men would rather die than follow a woman, so she made sure that she was perfect so they could not deny her. She was a better fighter than Beric, smarter than Durran. She was well-rounded. A better heir than either of her brothers. And the men of Storm's End recognized that.

Well, most of them did.

When word had gotten around that Aemond had killed Jacaerys, Cassana, and their son, everyone had begun to call their banners, for war had finally been declared in Westeros. While Argella was respected, Cassana was beloved. In their eyes, she was a fierce woman. She had been a young girl brave enough to tame a dragon. Perhaps the greatest archer in all of Westeros. They had loved her, celebrated her. Supported her marriage to the future heir to the Iron Throne.

And now they would avenge her.

Argella had wept for her sister and nephew when she received her mother's letter. She couldn't even recall the last thing she'd told Cassana. However, she felt at fault. Had she done her duty and just married Aemond, perhaps she could have distracted him. She could have saved her sister. Instead, she gave Aemond leave and now Cassana was gone.

The Round Hall of Storm's End was bustling with lords, and they were all speaking over one another. Argella sat on the makeshift throne of the hall with a stag's pelt decorating. Argella played with the ring on her finger, a gift from Aliandra.

"Why do we sit here?"

The room falls silent at the outburst of one lord. Casper Buckler was now the lord of his house after his brother had been killed by Argella's grandfather. Alyn Buckler had refused to take back the vow he'd sworn to Princess Rhaenyra and King Viserys. He died a loyal and honorable man and while Argella was eager to avenge her sister, Casper was just as eager to avenge his brother.

Argella sat up straighter in her seat as she looked at the lord. He was older than her. Bigger than her. And he approached her as though she were nothing but a common lady.

"The Greens have declared war. They've usurped the crown. They killed the heir. They killed your sister. We should be in King's Landing!"

A few men cheer in agreement and Argella can tell that the cheers seem to bolster Casper.

"We are not to make a move until Queen Rhaenyra commands it," Argella states simply.

"Queen Rhaenyra is dealing with the grief of losing her son," Casper states, "She is not in a position to give commands."

"And why's that?" Argella asks as she stands from her throne and makes her way down the stairs to stand before Lord Casper who towers over her.

Lord Casper looks down at Argella and she quirks a brow at him. Lord Casper sighs as he steps back and bows his head.