xxxii.

126 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

BRANDON BARATHEON LOVED HIS WIFE. ALAYNE WAS PERFECT IN HIS EYES. KIND, BUT NOT A PUSHOVER. Smart, but she never made you feel less than. Beautiful but it wasn't the most interesting thing about her. He loved Alayne and he knew that she loved him. They were partners and they always would be, no matter what.

Which is why he had to stop her when it came to outlandish ideas.

"Alicent is not going to just let you take the kids to Dragonstone and she's not going to agree to a betrothal between Baela and Aegon-"

"Yes she will," Alayne replies, "Because I am not going to her. I am going to Viserys so that she will remember her place."

Brandon sighs, "Alicent is your sister."

"Yes," Alayne states, "She is my sister and that is the only reason that she is still breathing."

Brandon's brows furrow as he looks at his wife, "What are you talking about?"

"My sister is a monster," Alayne answers as she takes a seat on their bed, "At first I sympathized with her, you know? She didn't want to marry Viserys. She was young. She didn't want to be a mother and didn't know how. But we are women now and her children aren't children anymore. They know the animosity their mother holds toward them."

Brandon was aware of that.

"Do you know that Helaena said that her mother doesn't like her?" Alayne asks, "No child should feel that way."

Brandon knew why Alayne felt so strongly about protecting her niece and nephews. It was the same reason that she never let their own kids get taken away by a midwife and spent every waking moment with them.

Brandon takes a seat beside Alayne, "They are not ours."

"That does not matter," Alayne says shaking her head, "I was not Queen Aemma's daughter and yet she loved me as though I was her own daughter. When my father shoved me aside, she was there. I will not turn my back on them."

Brandon sighs and reaches out to take Alayne's hand, lacing their fingers together, "I will support this awful idea."

"If?" Alayne asks, knowing that there was something her husband wanted.

"If you tell me the truth," Brandon says, "Have you and Rhaenyra rekindled your romance?"

"No," Alayne answers, "However she did kiss me, but I pushed her away. And I did tell her that I still loved her."

Brandon's brows furrow, "I think you don't understand the definition of the word rekindle, see it's when two people-"

"I know what rekindling means," Alayne says as she narrows her eyes at Brandon who wears a playful smile on his lips, "We both acknowledged that it couldn't go anywhere, which it can't. Besides the lovers always die in the end."

"Not always," Brandon tells her, "I know you and Rhaenyra did not work out initially, but I do believe that you're both older, and more certain of what you want. And should you pursue her then I may pursue Harwin-"

"Is that the only reason you wish I return to Rhaenyra?" Alayne asks as she gently shoves Brandon.

Brandon laughs, "No, but do think you would be happier for it. I see you doing so much for everyone else. Our children. Rhaenyra's. Alicent's. Laena and Daemon's. The Stormlands. Dorne. Westeros as a whole. When was the last time you did something for yourself?"

Alayne looks at Brandon thoughtfully, "I honestly cannot remember."

"That is a problem, my love," Brandon says with a gentle smile, "I think it is time that you be a little selfish and I know how you're always thinking of consequences where others don't, but death is not the worst thing. Torturing yourself and the one you love is."