xlix.

133 A.C
DRIFTMARK
•••

"IT'S BEEN YEARS SINCE I LAST SAW MY LORD HUSBAND MAESTER. I MUST KNOW...WILL HE LIVE?" Rhaenys asks from upon the Driftwood throne.

"He led his sailors into an ambush. A ship made to look as if it were abandoned. In the fighting, his neck was slashed by a corsair's dagger. He fell overboard into the sea," Maester Kelvyn informs her, "The wound was severe. Much blood was lost. But the greater concern is the fever that followed. The ship's maester said he burns from within."

Rhaenys sighs at the information. Baela, who'd spent the last year with her grandmother in Driftmark peers over at her and Rhaenys meets her granddaughter's gaze. Baela looks away and Rhaenys does as well. She had to remain strong for her husband and for her granddaughter.

"The raven came in from where?" Rhaenys inquires.

"Evenfall, Princess."

"So they arrive in three days," Rhaenys mutters, "Let all be made ready to receive him, Maester Kelvyn."

Maester Kelvyn nods before heading off to make preparation. In the corner of the room stood Lord Vaemond, watching as his brother's wife handled the situation.

"The Sea Snake is strong," Baela tells her grandmother. Alayne had suggested to Daemon that he send Baela away, and put more distance between her and Aegon to keep her out of Otto's grasp.

"No doubt," Vaemond says as he stands before the throne, "And yet, I have seen blood fever overcome men half his age."

"I will not talk of crows in my house, Vaemond," Rhaenys states.

"I love my brother, but we must be honest with ourselves. We may greet his ship to find him gone. And who will take the Driftwood Throne?"

Baela shrugs, "My grandmother seems quite comfortable here."

"She presides only in the absence of her husband," Vaemond reminds Baela, "On his death, the seat passes."

"To Lucerys Velaryon," Rhaenys states, "As is my lord husband's desire."

"I am the Sea Snake's own blood, the closest kin he has left."

"Be careful, good brother," Rhaenys warns, "One could take your words for treason."

Vaemond's brows furrow and he moves closer to the throne, climbing the stairs to stand directly in front of Rhaenys.

"I speak the truth, Rhaenys. And you know it."

"Lucerys is to marry Rhaena," Baela voices, "My sister is a Velaryon. Her children with Lucerys would still be Velaryons."

Rhaenys looks Vaemond in the eye, "The matter has been decided."

"By a man whose ambition has brought down on us calamity after calamity. My brother only cares for the history books. But what of the Velaryon line?" Vaemond questions. Lucerys Velaryon may have been able to steer a ship and act like a Velaryon, but that didn't change the fact that he did not look like one.

"Is it to be snuffed out, supplanted by the pups of House Strong? Driftmark is mine by all right, and while I should like your support, I do not need it. The winds have shifted. The crown has good reason to take my side."

"My cousin the King would have your tongue for this."

"But it's not a king who sits the Iron Throne these days, good sister. It's a queen."

When Rhaenys doesn't respond, Vaemond turns and walks down the stairs. He nods for one of the guards to follow after him and they obey. Rhaenys grips the armrest of the throne in frustration and looks over at her granddaughter.