lii.

133 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

LUCERYS VELARYON LOOKED AT THE MAP THAT AEGON HAD USED TO CONQUER THE SIX KINGDOMS. HE PLACED HIS HAND OVER DRIFTMARK. His mother and grandfather had done so much to secure his position. He almost felt embarrassed to say that he didn't deserve it. Durran was a better sailor than him and Rhaena knew Driftmark better than him.

"There you are."

Luke looks up to see his mother enter the room with a smile.

"The Sea Snake is going to die, isn't he?"

Rhaenyra sighs, "Luke-"

"I can't be Lord of the Tides," Luke says, "Grandsire was the greatest sailor who ever lived. I get greensick before the ship even leaves the harbor. I'll just ruin everything. I don't want Driftmark."

"We don't choose our destiny, Luke. It chooses us," Rhaenyra tells her son.

"Grandsire let you choose whether you'd be his heir. You told us so," Luke says.

Rhaenyra sighs as she walks closer to her son and leans against the map, "Do you want to know the truth of it? I was frightened. I was four and ten. Same as you are now. I wasn't ready to be Queen of the Seven Kingdoms. But it was my duty. And in time I came to understand that I had to earn my inheritance. And I didn't do that alone. There were people who helped me along the way, just like there are people who will help you."

Luke looks at his mother and shakes his head shamefully, "I'm not like you."

"In what way, sweet boy?" Rhaenyra asks with a small smile.

"I'm not so..." Luke tries to find the right word, "Perfect."

Rhaenyra grins as she rests her head against her son's and kisses the side of his head three times. Luke closes his eyes at the affection. He was nearly a man, but he longed to be held by his mother, feeling safe only within her arms.

"I am anything but. My father looked after me and helped to prepare me for my duties," Rhaenyra smiles at him, "Your mother will do the same for you."

Ser Lorent enters the room, "Good morrow, Princess."

"Good morrow, Ser Lorent," Rhaenyra greets.

"Princess Rhaenys has just arrived on dragonback. It is also stated that Ser Criston Cole was spotted on one of the beaches," Ser Lorent informs her, "She urgently requests an audience with you and Prince Daemon as well as the Lord and Lady of Storm's End."

Rhaenyra nods and offers her son one last smile of confidence.

Alayne, Brandon, and Daemon join Rhaenyra in the war room. Alayne leans against the table, arms crossed over her chest wondering what news Criston and Rhaenys could be bringing. The doors opened and Alayne glanced over at them.

"The Princess Rhaenys Targaryen!"

"Thank you, Ser Lorent," Rhaenyra says with a smile.

Alayne straightens up as Rhaenys approaches the table.

"Princess Rhaenys, might we hope for news of Lord Corlys's recovery?" Rhaenyra asks.

"Viserys is dead."

The words hang in the air as everyone processes them. Alayne looks over at Rhaenyra and Daemon and the shocked looks on their faces.

"I grieve this loss with you, Rhaenyra. My cousin, your father, possessed a kind heart," Rhaenys states. Alayne watches as Rhaenys moves from one side of the table closer to Rhaenyra and she knows that there is more to it than just that.