xxix.

126 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

ALAYNE AND CRISTON WALK SIDE BY SIDE THROUGH THE HALLS AS HE GUIDES HER TO THE COUNCIL ROOM. Alayne intended to present her weave of engagements and betrothals to King Viserys and Rhaenyra. She had kindly left her sister out because she knew that she'd have far too much to say about the situation and Alayne had learned from her father to keep obstacles out of the room to get what you want.

"Your daughter is quite well with a sword," Criston says.

"Her father insisted she learned," Alayne says as she looks at Criston, "My youngest son, Durran. He is young but eager. Brandon worries that he is overeager, but I believe there is no such thing. Do you think you could train him?"

"It would be an honor," Criston tells her, "And what of Beric?"

"Him as well," Alayne says, "He's coming along quite well, he feels inferior to his sister."

Criston chuckles, "How about I train all of your children."

"Oh no," Alayne says with a smile, "Cassana much prefers archery. Elissa and Falia, they have no interest in such activities. Just those three."

Criston smiles, "Very well, my Lady."

He opens the door for her and Alayne smiles as she walks by him, "Thank you very much, Ser Criston."

He nods his head and Alayne makes her way into the room. King Viserys attempted to rise as she entered, but Alayne waved it off.

"Your Grace, please stay seated," Alayne says as she makes her way over to the table. She curtsies before taking a seat beside him.

"I may be old, but I can still stand Alayne," Viserys says.

Alayne chuckles, "I know, but why do it when you don't have to."

Viserys smiles, "How have you been? How are the kids?"

"I've been wonderful, and the kids are amazing. I'm glad to be back in King's Landing, closer to family," Alayne says.

"Well, I am glad to have you back," Viserys states, "Things have not been the same since you left."

Alayne had an idea of what he was talking about. The increase in tensions and green clothing around the Keep. Her sister's attitude toward Rhaenyra had worsened. The years were supposed to ease grudges, not harden them.

The doors open and this time Rhaenyra enters the room, taking a seat across from Alayne. She meets Alayne's eye across the table before greeting her father, "Your Grace."

"So why have you gathered us here?" Viserys inquires as he looks over at Alayne.

"I have noticed that things are quite tense in the short time that I've been here. I've also heard rumblings about rebelling against Princess Rhaenyra's succession and that House Targaryen is divided."

Viserys frowns, "Where have you heard these rumblings?"

"I do not recall, Your Grace," Alayne lies, "But I have a solution that is in the interest of all of us."

Alayne glances across the table meeting Rhaenyra's gaze and she nods.

"I propose a series of betrothals," Alayne says as she looks at King Viserys, "The first being Lucerys and Rhaena. I discussed it with Lord Corlys, and he seemed to like the idea of uniting Velaryon blood."

"I agree," Rhaenyra says, "That is a good course of action. It would strengthen the Targaryen and Velaryon ties."

"Precisely," Alayne states, "Next I propose that Princess Helaena be betrothed to Prince Jacaerys. It would unite your line with your first wife and your second wife. It would also strengthen the Targaryen line."