li.

133 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

THE RED KEEP WAS SILENT THAT MORNING. THE ONLY PERSON TO KNOW OF THE KING'S PASSING WAS A YOUNG servant boy who quickly went and spoke to Talya, Alicent's lady maid. She wasn't surprised by the news, the King had lived well beyond what he was supposed to. It was simply the uncertainty of what would come next. Would Westeros be seeing their first Queen or would they ignore the former King's wishes and crown his son instead?

Talya quickly made way for Alicent's chambers. She knocked loudly, startling the queen from her sleep. She called Talya in and her lady maid informed of her the news. Alicent's hand flew to her mouth, and she let out of gasp. Just last night she was speaking to Viserys. Just last night he'd been here. A sob escapes her, and she isn't sure if she's crying from pure shock or if it's because she'd gotten so used to Viserys that she couldn't possibly imagine that he would no longer be around.

She didn't allow herself to linger in the thoughts. She couldn't. Her father would be making his move once the news got to him and she needed to act fast. Alicent climbed out of bed.

"Stay here and tell no one," Alicent instructs, "Help me dress."

Talya assisted Alicent in getting ready and soon she was making her way through the castle. She had to ensure that Aegon and Baela were gone. Without them, her father could not go through with his plan. He could attempt to crown Aemond, but it didn't carry the same weight. In her search, she found Ser Harrold and quickly made her way toward him.

"Ser Harrold?"

"Your Grace," Ser Harrold says as he bows before her.

"Have you seen Ser Criston?"

"He should be patrolling near the King's chambers," Harrold informs her and Alicent nods her head thankfully before heading off in that direction.

She finds Criston and she doesn't greet him. Instead, she asks, "Did he get away?"

"They both did, Your Grace," Criston tells her, "I made sure I was not followed. The Dragon Keepers were asleep as well. No one saw them leave in the blanket of night."

Alicent breathes a sigh of relief, "Good."

"Is something wrong?" Criston asks, noticing the Queen's somewhat disheveled appearance.

"The King is dead," Alayne tells him softly, "Once my father knows he will begin his search for Aegon. You must say nothing."

"Of course," Criston tells her, "Do you still want me to leave for Dragonstone?"

"Yes," Alicent says, "And I want you to take word to Rhaenyra and my sister. Tell them that Viserys is dead and that they must move quickly. The search will buy them some time."

"Perhaps it would be best to send Princess Helaena," Criston says, "If it is urgent."

"No," Alicent says shaking her head, "Helaena loved her father. The news of his passing will upset her, and she is not the strongest flyer."

"Then I will leave now," Criston tells her.

"Ser Criston, please be discreet," Alicent pleads and Criston nods before disappearing down the corridor. Alicent takes a deep breath as she heads in the opposite direction of Criston. She didn't have long before her father found out, so it was best if she told him herself to keep Otto off of her trail.

"Father-"

"The King is dead," Otto states. Alicent looks at her father surprised, and Otto shakes his head, "It was a lucky guess. Who all knows?"