vii.

110 A.C.
KING'S LANDING
•••

"YOU ARE AN EARLY RISER."

Alayne looked over to see Rhaenyra approaching her and a small smile crosses her lips. She had snuck out early in the morning to head to the Godswood to watch the sunrise.

"I wanted to see the sunrise," Alayne says as she looks at the sky which was free of clouds.

Rhaenyra takes a seat beside her and looks up at the sky, enjoying the blend of colors before glancing over at Alayne. The youngest Hightower feels Rhaenyra's eyes on her and looks over at her.

"What?" Alayne asks and Rhaenyra shakes her head.

"Nothing," she responds as she looks away, "I'm just surprised at your dedication."

"The world is cruel," Alayne speaks as she looks at the sky, "Sometimes I have to remind myself that even in a cruel world there is still beauty."

"An optimistic sentiment," Rhaenyra states, "Do you believe in romantic tales as well?"

"Hush you," Alayne responds, making Rhaenyra laugh loudly, "I hate romantic tales. They're not realistic. The lovers should always die in the end."

Rhaenyra's laughter comes to an abrupt stop, "And what a sudden turn this conversation has taken."

"In a true romance where the lovers cannot be together and wars are fought, everyone knows that they must die in the end. It is the only logical conclusion. Realistically there is no way that they would survive that much carnage. And even if they do they should be put to death for being so selfish," Alayne says shaking her head.

"You'd be the second coming of Maegor," Rhaenyra says, "Sending lovers to the execution block."

"No one would be dumb enough to let me rule," Alayne says as she leans back on her hands, "I would declare something evil."

Rhaenyra's lips curl up in an intrigued smile, "Like?"

"Like...oh! Like lemon cake must be eaten with every meal," Alayne says with a smile as she looks over at Rhaenyra who looks at her amused.

"Lemon cakes?" Rhaenyra says.

"Mhm," Alayne says, "Best cake in the world."

Rhaenyra chuckles, "If that is what you believe to be evil then you mustn't know what real evil is."

"You haven't seen what a couple of lemon cakes will do to a lady," Alayne jokes, and Rhaenyra smiles as she glances over at her, but it quickly fades. Alayne notices and finds that when Rhaenyra is quiet, something is bothering her.

"What is it?" Alayne asks softly.

"Nothing," Rhaenyra says, "It just feels bad to smile or laugh."

"You'll feel like that," Alayne responds, "It's like survivor's guilt. You feel guilty for enjoying being alive."

"Does it go away?" Rhaenyra asks as she looks over at Alayne.

"It wanes," Alayne answers, "But it never fully fades."

"Life is cruel," Rhaenyra mutters. It was something she knew already, but now she just felt it much worse.

"That is why you must watch the sunrise," Alayne says as she looks over at Rhaenyra, "Life is horrible, but you must find the little things to enjoy. I find comfort in sunrises and sunsets. I think you find your comfort with a certain Hightower whose name begins with an A."

"You?" Rhaenyra asks teasingly, "Isn't that a little forward?"

Alayne rolls her eyes, "I meant Alicent. Have you spoken to her?"