Vulnerable Scars

Chapter 31
Present Time
DC Child and Family Services Agency

11:17 am

"You sure you're ready," Emily asks worried as she unbuckles her seatbelt.

Daniela glances at her and then looks back out of the passenger window.

"I just want to get this thing over with quickly and go home," Daniela says with a sigh.

"We will," Emily responds as she opens her door, and steps out of the car.

Daniela does the same, walking next to Emily as they head over to the parking garage elevators.

Today they have an appointment with Daniela's caseworker regarding her investigation into Daniela's kidnapping.

Based on her final evaluation, Ms. Jones will have to decide whether or not Daniela's current placement is deemed a safe environment for her to continue to stay in.

If not, Daniela will have to be relocated to another placement.

Again.

That is why the girl has been on edge since she woke up this morning. Though she is trying her best to look unbothered, Emily can see the worry in the girl's eyes.

She doesn't blame the teen. From what Emily knows, Daniela doesn't have the best of memories in buildings like this one.

They enter the elevator quietly and Emily goes ahead and presses the main floor button.

Emily takes notice of Daniela fidgeting with her chapstick, opening and closing the top quickly on her hand.

It isn't uncommon for the girl to fidget when nervous or stressed. Emily simply drapes her arm around the teenager's shoulders as a sign of comfort.

"It's going to be okay," Emily says out loud as she gives the girl a light squeeze.

"I hope you're right because every time I would get called to one of these buildings, I knew I was in trouble," Daniela responds.

The elevator door opens to the main floor, and Daniela and Emily make their way to the front desk to check in.

As Emily checks in, Daniela stands a few steps behind her, looking around the building.

DC Child and Family Services Agency. A relatively new facility that is located just a few blocks from the Nationals Stadium.

The building itself looks well-designed and maintained with spotless windows and polished floors.

The outside may give the building a sort of dull atmosphere but the inside is much more welcoming. The building gives the girl some type of museum vibe.

If that makes any sense.

This building is easily much more sophisticated than her last foster agency. That place was packed with small offices and always felt crowded.

It was anything but welcoming. She might even go as far as considering it intimidating.

Emily finishes checking in and is told that the meeting will be held on the 2nd floor.

Emily gestures for Daniela to follow her as they make their way to another set of elevators. Daniela presses the "going up" button and steps inside.

"Dan, you need to know that the reason why we are here is not that you are in trouble. It's just a re-evaluation," Emily says, pressing the 2nd-floor button.

Daniela leans on the wall and sighs.

"You're right. Well, maybe not fully. They will probably bring up the fight in school as well," the girl states.