New Student

Chapter 33

Monday morning DC traffic is something that tends to give Emily a headache.

With parents making their way to school, others driving to work, and people simply running errands in the morning, it can be a hassle to maneuver through the city.

Especially in D.C., There can easily be streets shut down out of nowhere due to protests going on or even the president himself being escorted out with a caravan of security.

Luckily, Emily and Dani made it out of the house at a decent hour. Though traffic is moving slowly, Emily believes they should be there on time for school.

Hopefully.

She is glad that Dani woke up on time, which can be a challenge for her. Especially on a Monday morning.

But her waking up on time has a price. Now she is half asleep on the passenger's chair, staring outside aimlessly at the traffic.

"I'm glad you woke up on time for once but seeing you right now, I'm worried that you will fall asleep in the middle of the hallway or something."

"And your worries are not far-fetched. I need a gallon of caffeine or I will continue to be in this zombified state," Daniela grumbles.

"I did tell you to sleep early," the agent nags as Daniela rolls her eyes.

"Emily, asking any teenager to sleep early is an almost impossible task. Plus, even if I did I would still be as tired."

"Kid, you are too young to be this tired," the woman says.

"I know. At this rate, by the time I hit 18, I will be sent straight to a retirement home."

Emily laughs as she shakes her head.

"Well, you can go ahead and get some shut-eye until we arrive. It looks like traffic is on your side."

The teenager simply nods as she rests her head against the window, seeing the buildings pass by. She is tired but remains awake as Emily continues driving.

The local radio is on, creating background noise in the car. Local news and weather are the main topics as they manage to squeeze in pop music.

Daniela lifts her head when she hears the agent's phone alert a text message. Emily takes a glimpse of the message and lets out an annoyed sigh.

"Based on how you reacted to that message, I would assume it was Penelope alerting you about a new case," Daniela comments.

"Unfortunately, you are right. The team has got a case in South Carolina," Emily replies.

"And all I wanted to do for today was catch up on paperwork from the comfort of my office," Emily sighs.

"See, I told you we should have gone to a Starbucks run before going to school. We both could have used a caffeine boost," Dani tells the agent.

"I guess we will both just run in low power mode for today," Emily responds as she continues driving.

"I mean, look at the bright side. Your trip wont be long considering you'll still be on the east coast," the girl says as she sits up.

"Plus, South Carolina isn't too bad I think. Could be worse."

"Oh yeah? What makes you say that?" The woman asks.

"I mean, at least your case isn't in Florida. People from that state are a completely different breed. A lot of old folks, alligators, and Florida men."

"Actually... you aren't wrong. Cases in Florida can be... unique," Emily replies.

She hopes the girl is right. None of her cases are easy. After all, it always involves a murderer on the loose and death.