Operation: Birthday Bash

Chapter 38

Benjamin Academy High School

"I can't believe we were given our first major assignment. We are hardly done with the first quarter."

"To add on top of that, it's an elective course. It should be an easy class."

Daniela and her friends ate lunch in the cafeteria in their free time. She is eating her meal while hearing two of her friends ramble about a major project in their art class, a class in which she isn't enrolled.

"Wait, hold up a sec. What did you guys say your project was about again?" she asks as she takes a bite of her fries.

"We need to create a portfolio about a natural element that was selected for us. The portfolio has to contain pictures, drawings, and an essay about it," Alexandra explains, not sounding excited about the project.

"You know what element I got. Air. I got fucking air!" James growled under his breath. "How the hell am I supposed to take pictures of air?"

"You see, I'm glad I didn't get your element or I would've just given up without starting," Amelia tells James. "I got fire. I will just turn on a lighter, take a picture, and call it a day. No reason for me to stress about this elective course."

"I thought I had the easiest element when I got Earth but the teacher had other ideas," Alexa puts forth. "The teacher wants me to focus on plants but not any kind of plants. She wants plants from around the world."

"I mean... you can just slap a Google search image but Mrs. Writz is one strict teacher. If she decides to do a reverse image search she will automatically fail you," James tells her.

"Where would you even go to find plants from all over the world? Home Depot?" Amelia asks.

"That's the same thing I was asking myself. I'm new to the area and I'm not sure where I would find a place like that," the new student replies.

"Well, lucky for you my friend, you decided to study abroad in the capital of this country. One thing about this place is that we have a lot of places down here," Daniela chimes in.

"The US Botanic Garden is a garden with plants from all over. I've been there before for a school trip. I think it may have what you need."

"Oh, yeah! You're right," James exclaims. "That place has plants from different countries and stuff. It's near the Capital building."

"Interesting. That sounds like a perfect place for my project," Alexa agrees. "Do you mind sending me the address? I can try my best to maneuver through the city and find it."

"I'll offer you something better. I can take you to the garden myself," Dani offers.

"Oh no. I can't ask you to do that for me. I don't want to bother you," Alexa interjects.

"But you didn't ask for me to do it. I offered. There's no problem on my end."

"You should accept her offer, Alexandra. Daniela can be pretty stubborn," Amelia recommends as Dani playfully rolls her eyes.

"Besides, not everyone gets the opportunity to have Dani as their personal tour guide. She knows all the best places in the city," James adds.

Alexandra contemplates for a moment before conceding. "Okay then, I accept. But on the condition that you have to let me pay for lunch and any transportation expenses."

"Yes, ma'am," Dani replies with a nod.

"You are a lifesaver, Dani. I don't know what I would do without your help," Alexa says as she places her hand on top of Daniela's own from across the table. "Hopefully going to the garden will suffice for my project."