Soup and Fuzzy Socks

Chapter 42:

Prentiss Household

A cool autumn breeze rustled through the open window, carrying with it the scent of fallen leaves. Sunshine pierced through the window, bright stripes across the duvet.

Unlike the usual rush to get out the door, a lazy atmosphere hung in the air.

Today was Sunday, which meant sleeping in and ditching the annoying alarm clock. Emily stretched comfortably, knowing she wouldn't need to stress about work for today.

The woman stands up and puts on her slippers, wanting to make her way to the kitchen to get breakfast ready.

She doesn't bother to change out of her pajamas (which are just an oversized black shirt and checkered fleece pants) since she doesn't plan to go anywhere soon.

She walks down the hallway and takes a glance at Daniela's room, her door slightly open. Daniela, usually awake at this time of day, was still burrowed under the covers.

A little too still, in fact.

"Dani?" Emily called out, her voice barely a whisper.

There was no response. With a growing furrow in her brow, Emily made her way over to Daniela's side. Reaching out, she placed a gentle hand on the teenager's forehead.

It was warm to the touch, sending a jolt of worry through Emily.

Daniela stirred slightly, a groan escaping her lips. Her eyes fluttered open, her face looking pale.

"Daniela, honey, are you alright?" Emily asked, her voice laced with concern.

Daniela mumbled a reply, her voice hoarse and barely audible.

"Ugh, not feeling it today, Em," Daniela mumbled, her voice thick with sleep and something else.

"Yeah, I kinda figured," Emily replied, grabbing the thermometer.

A quick beep later, the red numbers confirmed her suspicions – a fever, not the best way to spend a Sunday.

"Alright, there you go, hun," Emily said softly, removing the thermometer. "Looks like you've caught a bit of a bug."

Daniela groaned again, burrowing deeper into the covers.

"Ugh, not today," she mumbled, her voice muffled by the pillows.

The teenager was looking forward to enjoying her Sunday. A trip to the mall or hanging out with her friend is now ruled out because of whatever illness she has.

"Looks like it, love," Emily said, ruffling Daniela's hair. "But don't worry, we'll get you all better in no time."

With ease, Emily started to get things settled to care for the sick girl. Pillows were fluffed, an extra blanket was added, and a cool washcloth was on Daniela's forehead.

"How about some magic soup, the kind that cures everything?" Emily asked, already heading towards the kitchen.

The mention of soup elicited a weak smile from Daniela.

"Soup?" she croaked, her voice barely a whisper.

"The best. Now rest up, sleepyhead. I'll be back in a flash."

The kitchen soon filled with the delicious aroma of chicken and vegetables, a familiar scent that promised warmth. As Emily stirred the pot, a smile played on her lips.

Taking care of Daniela, and making her feel better – these were the moments that truly mattered.

The aroma of chicken soup filled the air while Emily handled a steaming cupful, carefully carrying it back to the bedroom.