Dreams and Sprite

Chapter 3

Dani is walking through the park. It was a nice day with good weather.

She sits down at a nearby bench admiring the wonderful view. A boy, around Dani's age, sits next to her.

Dani doesn't pay attention to him. She is focused on the beauty of the park. The nice green grass with the tall trees really radiated spring energy.

"What are you doing here?" The boy asked, having a similar voice that Dani has heard before.

"What do you mean? I-"

"I told you to take care of mom. What are you doing here?" The boy asked again looking at her.

Dani's heart skipped a beat when she turned around and faced this boy. His smooth, back hair was combed to the side. His tanned skin, the same color as Dani's own.

She knew it was him when she saw his eyes. Those dark brown eyes.

It was her brother, Lucas.

"Lucas? I thought you-"

Where is mom? You had to take care of her, what happened?" Lucas states in a cold, angry voice.

Dani nearly jumped from the bench when hearing his voice. She never heard him talk with so much anger.

It was intimidating.

"Mom is... she is dead," Dani responded in a low voice, looking down.

"Dani! I told you to do one thing and you fail me? What kind of person are you?" Lucas asked with a face of disgust.

"I'm sorry, Lucas. I swear I tried to help her," Dani tells him with full shame.

"You are lying and you know it!" He spat out.

"You left her alone! You abandoned her! You are a poor excuse for a daughter!"

Dani looks at the floor, tears falling down. "I'm sorry. You are right, it's my fault."

He was right. Everything that he said was right.

She left her mother when she needed her the most. She didn't try hard enough to help her fight her addiction.

She wasn't there on time when her mom overdosed. It was all her fault that her mother was no longer alive.

The guilt that she has keeps on dragging her down to a bottomless pit.

Daniela has been carrying that guilt for the last two years. It was always a very strong feeling she had. The thought that she had failed two family members has been drowning her with pain.

She couldn't help because she wasn't strong enough.

She couldn't help because she wasn't good enough.

That is why she hated herself for it.

"Tu tienes la culpa y lo sabes! Como puedes vivir sabiendo esto?"

"Lo Siento. I'm very sorry." She says, her voice cracking.

"You failed me, Dani. You are an absolute failure"

"you are right. I failed. I'm sorry." Dani told him, not daring to look at him in his eyes.

"I failed as a daughter and sister."

"Dani."

"Dani."

"Dani."

Dani opens her eyes with a gasp.