Chapter Eight

Shiho stands as tall as she can, and she somehow meets just under his own height.

He's gotta be at least one hundred eighty centimetres tall.

"What do you mean?" Shiho asks. "What did you do to Jirou?"

"Now, now," he says. "Calm down."

Shiho clearly doesn't "calm down". She glares at him and prepares herself to fight. He has a knife, and he probably knows how to handle it very well, compared to Shiho's bare hands.

"Just tell me where he is," Shiho says. "Once I know he's safe, we can get this over with."

"Fine, fine! He's alive. For now."

As much as Shiho doesn't like his words, they ease her concern a little. If he's alive, he'll stay that way. Mikey'll make it back to them. She knows it.

He has to. Mikey doesn't die today.

Shiho stares at him for a moment. His relaxed demeanour makes Shiho wonder more about him, but she doesn't have time for that. He has long blond hair, but at the top you could see the black roots. The top of his hair is pulled back into a small ponytail, but his bangs still hang messily in his face. Both of his eyes have thin white scars over them, but she can tell by the dark greyish colour of his eyes that he can still see plenty fine. Even under his tank top, loose fitting over shirt, and baggy pants, Shiho can tell the boy has obvious muscle. Plus there's that switchblade.

She has to be careful of him. Or she really will die.

Shiho decides to take the initiative and charges towards the boy. She jumps and swings her foot, hoping it'll connect to his face. Unfortunately, his reflexes are faster than that. Her foot hits against his forearm. He looks rather surprised as he stumbles a few steps back.

He whistles, looking at what is likely going to form a bruise on his forearm. "So that's what Mikey's missile kicks feel like. Just a little stronger. Dammit~" He runs a hand through his bangs, showing off the top of the scars. They end at his hairline. "Guess we didn't send enough guys if you're that strong."

"Who are you?" Shiho asks.

"Oh, I didn't tell you my name?" He asks. "Ignore my bad manners. My name is Tao Kaname."

"Are you under Moebius?" Shiho asks. "Cause if so, you do know you're under our gang now, right?" Shiho hopes her words will deter his attack, but he doesn't seem very swayed.

"I'm Moebius' acting Vice President," Tao says. "And my boss happens to want you dead, but you know...maybe I'll just keep you to myself."

Shiho's blood runs cold. She doesn't want to think about that. She'll make sure that doesn't happen.

Small raindrops hit the ground. Shiho looks up for a moment. Perfect. On top of all of this, it's starting to rain.

"No way in hell," Shiho says.

"Oh, that's unfortunate," he says, sighing a little. "Guess we're doing this the hard way~"

Tao doesn't waste anymore time. He charges forward. He swings his fist a few times, and Shiho manages to block or counter most of them.

Once his fist finally connects with her shoulder, a dull throb pulses through her.

He's stronger than me, but he's uncoordinated. If I play this right, I could probably win.

Shiho kicks him again, but, much like the last one, he manages to block it. He grabs her ankle, likely in hopes of throwing her. Shiho picks her foot up off the ground and twists the best she can with her leg restrained. Much to Shiho's surprise, it connects to Tao's face.