Chapter Thirty-Nine

The doctors told Shiho, Mikey, and Draken when they all made it to the hospital that Emma was in a coma. They weren't sure she would ever wake up again. She was alive, but none of the three of them saw it as a plus.

She would never be awake again, alive or not.

Shiho was going to need surgery and a replacement shoulder, but she wouldn't let them do more than a makeshift cast and some pain killers for now. She wasn't going into surgery until after the battle with Tenjiku. It was going to make it worse, but there was no way that her shoulder would heal wrong. So Shiho didn't care. Mikey didn't object, likely for several reasons.

Everyone sat around Emma's unconscious form, unmoving and silent. "Mikey, Shiho...let's go outside for a little."

"What happened?" Draken asks when they finally make it outside. Mikey doesn't move. Draken punches Mikey. "You were there...how did this happen...?"

"Ken~Chan..." Shiho says.

"Mikey...what the fuck were you doing?" Draken snaps.

Takemichi drops to the ground and bows deeply. "It's all my fault!"

"Micchi, stop." Draken looks up at Shiho, looking her whole body up and down. "It's not any of their faults. Leave Jirou alone, Ken~Chan."

"Shiho~Chan..."

Draken steps toward Shiho. "What do you mean? Why should I?"

"Jirou was handling Izana. I...I saw Kisaki coming. I had Emma in my arms, and I...I still couldn't...!"

Draken's fist connects with Shiho's jaw. She doesn't say anything else. He keeps punching Shiho, still careful to avoid her already broken shoulder. Draken shouts his complaints. He slings insults at Mikey and Shiho until Shiho is on the ground.

Shiho lays on her back, tears falling down her face. She knows she's failed to protect everyone. This time, she had Emma in her arms. She could have stopped this!

Shiho walks slowly back into the hospital and into Emma's room, only to see Hina standing over Emma.

"Hina...?" She asks. Hina spins around.

"Shiho~Chan!" Hina says. She goes to grab Shiho's shoulder to hug her, but she stops at the sight of her mangled uniform. "Are you okay?"

Shiho wipes her eyes. "Hina...Micchi needs your help."

"What...?"

"Hina, I know about Takemichi. Jirou and Ken~Chan need someone to kick their asses, and frankly...I can't do it. I need it as much as they do. Can you help them...? I'm sure Micchi can still change everything, even if Emma isn't here now. So...please. Help them!"

Hina hesitates but nods. She walks out, still choking back sobs. Shiho sits next to Emma. She sighs.

There's silence for a long time. Shiho almost hopes Emma sits up and greets her. But she doesn't. She just lays there.

"I'm sorry, Emma...but, hey, I knew you should have just told Ken~Chan how you felt...! I just wish you got to do it instead of me..." Shiho says. "Don't worry, Emma, I'll kill the bastard who did this to you. I swear it."

She places a hand gently on to Emma's before pulling away and walking out to find Draken and Mikey.

Takemichi must have left a long time ago. Shiho isn't even sure how long she's been here. She walks down to the lobby, where Mikey and Draken are both sitting down. Hina stands at the door next to Shiho.