Chapter Thirty-Seven

"You told Hina?" Shiho asks over the phone the next morning. "Why the fuck did you do that?"

Shiho sets her phone on the mantle as she opens a new bandage to place over her nose. "It—it was an accident."

"How the—no! No, it doesn't matter!" Shiho says. She pats the ends of the bandage down, wincing at the pressure on her nose. "You went back, right? What happened?"

Takemichi recounts his tale, from meeting Taiju in the future to Naoto passing away as he leaped through time, his voice getting more thin and shrill as he keeps talking. Shiho stares at her phone solemnly.

"I'm sorry you had to go through that, Micchi. I wish I could have helped you. But...you think that everything will be okay if we handle this Izana guy?"

"It should be," Takemichi says. "And we have to handle Kisaki being a time leaper."

"It doesn't surprise me that he can time leap too," Shiho says. "I mean, the evidence is right there. We should have guessed." Emma shouts Shiho's name from down the hall. "Look, we'll have to talk about this later."

"Okay. Bye, Shiho~Chan."

Shiho hangs up the phone and shoves it into her jacket. She walks out, still playing with the bandages on her chin.

"Shiho! I need help making breakfast, do you mind?" Emma asks.

Shiho nods. "Yeah, I got it," she says. "What do you want me to make?"

"I'm making some eggs, just make whatever you want. I just want to make sure there's enough to feed Mikey."

"Yes, ma'am."

Shiho starts cooking next to Emma. Eventually, Mikey walks out into the kitchen. His hair is frizzy and all over the place. He has his old blanket in his hand.

   "Shishi~Chan!" Mikey says. "Can you do my hair?"

   Shiho laughs at him. He just looks so cute like that. "I'll do it after we eat, okay?"

   Mikey nods with a small smile.

   "You baby him too much, Shii~Chan," Gramps says. Shiho waves a hand dismissively. "Have Mikey cook for you every now and then."

   Shiho's expression flattens. "Gramps, I love him, but...does he even know how to cook...?"

   "No," Emma interjects, setting down several plates on the table.

   "Hey, I know how to cook," Mikey pouts. "Sort of."

   "See?" Shiho says. "Besides, I don't mind. Pulling his hair up so it's neat isn't exactly a hard job."

   Gramps huffs. "Still! I can't have my grandson be useless!"

   "Oi..." Mikey mutters. Shiho laughs and walks over to him. She ruffles his hair.

   "Don't worry, as long as he's got me around, he'll survive~" Shiho teases. Emma doesn't hesitate to make fun of her. Shiho punches Emma shoulder playfully, but forcefully. She yelps in surprise. Shiho sticks her tongue out and goes back to cooking.

   "Mikey! Shiho! I'm here!" Draken calls from outside. "I found Takemicchi and brought him with me."

   "Go wait in my room, Kenchin!"

   "Hi, Ken~Chan! Micchi!" Shiho calls.

   They finish eating quickly and walk into Mikey's room, where Draken and Takemichi are admiring Mikey's room.

   "I only own the bed," Mikey says. "Shishi~Chan, do my hair."

  "You got it." Shiho leads Mikey to the couch, Takemichi and Draken following them.