Chapter Thirty-Five

"Oi! Manjirou! You said you were going to come get me from the park! I had to walk all the way here alone!"

Emma looks up at the dojo's door. A young girl walks in, glaring around the room until she finds Mikey.

She's not much taller than Emma is. She has long dark hair and pale blue eyes that Emma hadn't seen much since she came to Japan. She has a very light row of freckles.

"Ah, Shiho!" Mikey says. "My bad! I forgot."

"Idiot!" She says. She looks down at Emma from where she sits, then she looks up at Gramps. "Who's this?"

"Shii~Chan!" Gramps says. "I didn't know you'd be here today."

She pouts at Mikey. "You weren't kidding, huh?"

"This is Emma," Gramps says, catching her attention again. "She's Manjirou and Shinichiro's little sister."

"Oh!" She looks at Emma and kneels down in front of her. Emma gets a little startled from the sudden closing of space and flinches. "Nice to meet you, Emma~Chan! I'm Shiho!"

"H—hi," she says.

"Don't worry, Emma! You're big bro'll take care of you! Just don't fall in love with me," Shinichiro says.

"Your hair looks weird," Emma says.

Mikey and Shiho turn to Shinichiro and start laughing.

"Oi! Shiho! Stop laughing!"

"But it does look kinda weird, Shin~nii~Chan!"

Mikey just laughs harder.

~*~*~

Shiho watches Mikey kick the pad being held in front of him, vaguely aware of Baji, Emma, and Gramps watching them.

"Oi! Manjirou! Shouldn't your leg be higher?" Shiho asks.

Mikey looks up at her and raises an eyebrow. "Eh? What for?"

"Teach me how to do it, then!"

"Fine!"

Mikey helped Shiho a lot. She chose to stay with Mikey instead. He actually somehow manages to be helpful. Gramps wouldn't admit it, and neither would Shiho.

"Okay! Your turn!" Mikey says. Shiho readies herself, jumps, and hits the pad square in the center. She lands, stumbling a little, but she still manages to land safely.

"Ha!" Shiho exclaims. "I did it!"

"I told you!"

Shiho's eyes light up.

   "Oi! Sano! Manyuda!" Baji snaps from the entrance. "Train with me!"

   "I don't care," Shiho says. "As long as Manjirou is gonna come with."

   "No, thanks. I don't wanna get all sweaty," Mikey says, turning away from a stunned Baji.

   "So why do you come to a dojo then?"

   "So I can show off," Mikey says. "And help Shiho if she wants it."

   "What kind of kid is he?" Baji asks Shiho.

   She sighs. "A genius who has a big head."

   Baji's gaze travels, before pausing at one of the doors to the room they were standing in. "Who's that?" Baji asks, pointing at Emma.