Chapter Ten

Well, this is new. Shiho didn't expect this when she died. Heaven—or what she's calling heaven—isn't a white room or something. It's not above the clouds. It looks very similar to a Japanese country side.

   Wide open field beyond where the eye can see. Sakura trees frame either side of the old train station she stands on. It's, surprisingly, not falling apart yet. A warm breeze blows through.

   Perhaps the most surprising part is the fact that Shiho is wearing a suit. The pants and jacket are both black with pin stripes. She has on a tie and a completely flat ironed white button up.

   Shiho stands there for a while, completely alone and wondering if she could take any of this off. She doesn't have her phones nor is there anything around, so she just stands there and hopes something'll happen.

   And just like she wishes, something does.

   "Oh? What are you doing here, Shii~Chan?"

   Shiho flinches at the sudden noise, but then looks over at the somehow familiar voice.

   "Hide?"

***

   Hide looks a lot different then he used to. First of all, he's older now. Last time Shiho saw him, he was about nine. He looks to be Shiho's age, now. Another surprise, but a pleasant one.

   His hair is longer than it used to be. It's about as long as Mikey's now, only Hide's is brown instead of blonde. Hide's eyes are a thoughtful shade of hazel. The scar on his chin from falling on the play ground hasn't faded much.

   Shiho can't explain how much she had missed him after he died.

***

  "I don't have to keep this suit neat, right?" Shiho asks, looking at the messy way Hide holds himself.

   He shakes his head. "Not like anyone can stop you, anyway."

   Shiho laughs and pulls off the jacket. She rolls up her sleeves, loosens the tie around her neck, and unbuttons the top two of her shirt. "Good. I hate wearing formal shit, man."

   Hide smiles. "I do too."

***

   A train pulls up in front of the station and stops. It looks rather old. "That's ours," Hide says, nudging Shiho. She nods and looks back. She wonders how Mikey, Draken, and Takemichi are doing. How long has it been? Are they adults now? Shiho smiles and follows Hide into the train.

   Whatever happens to her, she's okay as long as they're safe.

   It's an older style train, with booths that have small tables in the centre. Hide sits down at one, and Shiho sits opposite of him.

   "Are we the only ones here?" Shiho asks.

   "No. There are a couple people in the other cars. There always are."

   "What do you mean?"

   "I've been waiting to leave with you or Etsu."

   Now that's a name Shiho hasn't heard in a long time. She, Hide, and Etsu used to be friends, a long time ago, but now...

   "So how has Etsu been doing?"

   Shiho stays silent for a moment. "Etsu and I...we don't talk much anymore."