Chapter Fifty-Nine

"Just a few days after that, Shinichiro died," Mikey says. Everyone stares at Mikey's calm expression. Shiho wonders how much of that is Mikey being utterly desensitised to all of this. She can't even find it in her own heart to seem interested.

"The curse Shinichiro created...that is what my dark impulses are," Mikey says.

"Shin~nii~Chan didn't mean to do this, but he affected me a lot, too," Shiho says. "Ever since he saved Jirou, I've been right next to him. Every time Jirou had a dark thought or impulse, it slowly started affecting me. It wasn't bad at first, but one day..." Shiho doesn't have to explain. Takemichi has seen her kill people, specifically South.

"That curse probably affected everyone around him," Mikey agrees. "It was probably the same thing for Kazutora, just...more immediate. I've carried that curse for years. But I'm starting to lose myself. It's getting louder and stronger... so I pushed almost everyone away! I didn't have a choice! I'm about to go insane...!"

Shiho looks at Takemichi. "Look, I'll say this once. If you can help him, you can help me. I'm...forced to stay by his side. I'm staying passive in this. Jirou needs help more than me."

"You don't have to hold back," Takemichi says. Mikey's eyes widen. "Tokyo Manji Gang's second generation was made to bring you and Shiho~Chan back. Release the dark impulses with all you have. I can see the future. You won't hurt me. I'm the only one who can crush those dark impulses. You can let go, Mikey~kun."

Mikey looks Takemichi up and down. "I don't care what happens."

Mikey closes his eyes, and the air immediately changes. Even people who are on the outskirts of the crowd flinch.

Takemichi readies himself. "Let's finish this."

Shiho stares at Mikey's back. She doesn't like this. Not even a little bit. But she's sure Takemichi knows what he's doing. She has to trust him.

Looking back, there was only one other time that she really put her friends lives in his hands, and his hands alone. It was the conflict with the Black Dragons. Shiho had always taken things into her own hands. In August, she had saved Draken herself and nearly died. In the Bloody Halloween, she had gone off on her own and tried to solve it her own way.

She needs to let Takemichi do this. Since it's obvious she can't. He has to do it himself.

Mikey charges forward. He keeps himself low to the ground until he grabs Sanzu's katana. Takemichi jumps backward, narrowly missing the blade. Or so Shiho thought. Just under Takemichi's eye, a thin cut spurts blood.

"My katana?" Sanzu asks.

"Takemicchi!" Chifuyu shouts. He attempt to run forward, but Shiho grabs him.

"Don't! You'll only get killed!" Shiho says. "Micchi can hardly do it, and he said he can see the future..."

Shiho considers running in to help. She can at least keep up with Mikey mostly. She isn't in as much pain as she was before. Maybe she can help him.

Takemichi wants to save her as much as Mikey though. So she stays back.

Mikey slashes wildly with the katana and for a long while Takemichi manages to avoid severe cuts with the blade. Takemichi, in a moment of ill judgement, attempts to punch Mikey. It doesn't seem to be aimed in a specific spot. It's just to get a hit in.

Mikey takes advantage of it. He runs the blade down the side of Takemichi's arm. Takemichi sucks in air through his teeth. It's so loud even Shiho can hear it from where she stands.