Chapter Twenty-Six

"Lay off, guys," Hakkai says. "Takemicchi's my buddy."

"Stay back, Hina~Chan. They don't go easy on girls."

"R—right."

"Hakkai~" Kokonoi says. "Even friends of the Young Master must be taught some manners. Because our gang doesn't listen to you."

Chatter spread around the crowd of Black Dragons. All Takemichi can think about is getting Hina out of danger—while still worrying about saving his own ass in the process.

Hakkai steps forward. "I told you not to hurt my friends. So please." Takemichi stares at Hakkai's back. Hakkai knows the Black Dragons fairly well, from what he can see.

"Hakkai, weren't ya listening? We don't take orders from you." In a second, the boy who said that is pinned between Hakkai's fist and the ground. Many people scattered through the crowd who are surprised.

"Fuck off, scambags," Hakkai says. Hakkai stands and looks at Takemichi. "Sorry for getting you involved, Takemicchi. The boss of the Black Dragons is Shiba Taiju."

"Huh...? Shiba?"

"Yeah," Yuzuha says. "Taiju is our older brother."

"The three of us are siblings," Hakkai says.

The first thing Takemichi thinks of is Kazutora's words about future Hakkai. About how he killed the leader of the Black Dragons for money. Not only does he realise it wasn't for money, the thought of Hakkai killing his older brother unsettled him.

"Where's Taiju now?" Hakkai asks.

"At the convenience store," Kokonoi says.

"He's hardly ever home, except for shit like this," Hakkai says. "Pain in the ass."

"Oi," the scarred one says. He walks up to Hakkai and pulls out a switch blade. He points it at Hakkai's neck. "Watch your mouth. Talk shit about our boss, and I'll kill you."

"You have no damn chill," Hakkai says.

"You think I won't do it?"

Yuzuha runs behind him and spins swiftly, jumping off the ground. Her foot plants into his collarbone. The boy falls to the ground, looking up at Yuzuha with a glare. "Keep your hands off my little brother."

He stands up and brushes himself off, Kokonoi snickering behind him. "Back off, Inupi. They're the boss' sibs."

Inui hold his pocketknife up again. "I swore loyalty to the boss, but that doesn't mean I have to take shit from them. I don't care if you're a girl. I'll kill you all!"

Yuzuha looks over at Takemichi. "Hanagaki! Get out of here. Take care of Hina~Chan! We've got this." Takemichi wants to object, but he'll just get in their way.

Takemichi turns to talk to Hina, but is promptly cut off by her crying out his name. Takemichi follows her gaze, only to get clotheslined. When Takemichi sits up, he sees a tall man with black and blond hair that reminded him of Kazutora's hair, just much longer. His jacket is red instead of white with the same design on the other jackets.

"Your shit just got wrecked!" The man shouts.

"Taiju," Hakkai murmurs. Takemichi wants to say more, but he's too busy coughing trying to get air.

"That's just not fair!" Taiju says. He starts to wade through the crowd, gripping Takemichi's collar and lifting him. "You guys look like you're having so much fun. Let me join in~" He throws Takemichi. In his focus Takemichi can hardly hear Yuzuha and Hina speaking to each other.