Chapter 16

"Oh, sweetie! You're awake." Laura got up from the chair across from his bed.

"Is... she okay?" Jordan rasped.

Laura smiled softly handing over a cup of cold water. She thought it was sweet that the first thing that came to mind was his girlfriend. She peeked yard yak sometimes so she kept up with her twins enough to know that Jordan was officially back with Simone.

She never cared for Harper. There was something off about her. She could tell there was some jealousy and anger issues when it came down to the relationship that her son had with Simone. They had a deep connection that anyone with eyes could tell was more than what Jordan had with Harper. Laura loved Simone like a second daughter so she made sure she got in touch with Devon to make sure she was okay.

"She's okay. She's with her dad at his hotel. She didn't want to leave you but her dad thought it was best to get some sleep." She informed her youngest twin.

"Oh. Can you call her back. Please, I need to see my fiancé for myself. Please." Jordan checked himself feeling like he got ran over.

"Sure. Liv is in the waiting room with Spencer. You lost a lot of blood from the stabbing but you'll be making a full recovery once you take time to heal."

"Well, that explains why I feel like shit." He frowned.

Laura stepped out to make the call. Liv entered the room hugging her brother tightly.

"You scared me doofus." She pulled away.

"I'm fine."

"Liar." Liv responded.

"Yeah man, you actually have to take time to heal. I am sure the cops will be in here soon to ask who did it. They already questioned Simone." Spencer hugged his best friend.

"I know I know. Liv, how is she?"

"A mess. Her dad had to give her melatonin. Congratulations by the way. Does mom know?"

"I think the word fiancé went above her head." Jordan attempted to laugh.

"You mean your mom doesn't know?" Spencer laughed, shaking his head.

"Your mom doesn't know what?" Laura walked back into the room.

"Ummm... I asked Simone to marry me before any of this stabbing stuff happened." Jordan said lowly.

"Oh, her dad already told me. I wish I would've heard it from my son but you are guys are little adults and not children anymore soooo... I guess we'll have a wedding to plan."

"That's it?!" The twins said in unison. Laura looked at her children making the same exact face at her.

"If this was Harper, I would've objected but you came around and made the better decision. I love Simone. She makes you happy. You make her happy and if her parents are okay with it then I am not going to stand in the way." Laura responded. It wasn't her blessing that he really needed anyway but it was nice bonus.

The cops came in to question Jordan. He couldn't give much because he didn't remember much of anything that felt useful. The cops got the security footage from the campus police and were digging through it. Devon ended the call with Laura and looked at the opposite bed seeing his youngest knocked out. It was a long night and being somewhere to rest that wasn't campus was important.

He had to shut off her phone to avoid the constant calls because do not disturb didn't feel like enough. He was surprised he managed to sleep himself. After checking in with his wife and eldest daughter, his focus was on Simone. He extended his stay and rescheduled any upcoming meetings to be virtual. Devon took a shower letting Simone sleep in a little longer.