Chapter 24

"I think you should stop being scared."

Simone sits on the couch in Layla's recording studio. Being an adult with more money meant Layla had more talent on her roster than she did in high school. She combined forces with her husband and they expanded on the label in under three years. Layla always ran her ideas by Simone when it came to song choices. She might've had a small knack for knowing a radio hit. If she couldn't shake her ass too it or get motivated to iit on the court then it wasn't worth it.

"I am not scared, just nervous." Simone shrugged falling back onto the comfy pillows.

She had yet to do her assignment given by her therapist. It had been two weeks since and Simone had been avoiding it. She had been focusing on everything else since. Layla gave her a look as she twirled in her chair giving her artist a break from recording.

"What is really stopping you?" Layla wondered.

"You know the history. It's a lot of history."

"It is very clear that you miss them both. It won't hurt to reach out to both of them."

"Hold on Keating, she said to reach out to Olivia not her twin."

"And if memory serves me correctly, both of them were your best friends and you loved her twin." Layla pointed out.

"My relationship with Jordan is in the past, miss girl."

"Uh huh." She nodded with a smile.

"What is that suppose to mean?"

"You get defensive when he is brought up babes. There is still a part of you that misses that connection no matter how much you sit here and try to deny it. I'm just saying. I think you should try talking to them.. at  your celebratory party this weekend."

Simone rose a brow at the last part. If there was one thing Layla still kept from her high school era, it was the fact that she loved to throw an over the top party. Even if she knew that Simone loved a good party - she would absolutely find any excuse to not have the spotlight on her. Layla might've done some digging and got contact information to make sure the Baker twins got an invite.

"Layla. I do not want a party."

"Too bad. You are at the top of your game and you deserve to be celebrated. Let me do this!" Layla wasn't taking no for an answer.

"It better be a small gathering." Simone stressed.

"No promises, darling just make sure you show up preferably in a dress that will make your ex cry."  Layla winked twirling in her chair.

"I am not wearing a revenge dress to a party that he might not even go too."

***

The party was in full swing by the time Jordan walked in. He had no plans to go but Imán insisted because she was a fan of his ex. Jordan didn't have that much excitement about it. He didn't do well in awkward situations and this being the first time he seen her in a while, well he wasn't ready.

He hadn't spotted her yet and for that he was grateful. Over the years, he chose to stay sober for Liv but he needed something in his system. He didn't put it past Imán to go mingle and network. She was a talker in which Simone had always quietly worked a room without doing much. The menu was curated and he easily recognized all of her favorites.

"Of course she'd have a mango mojito on here." He whispered.

Simone wondered through the crowd greeting familiar faces. She had thought she'd be coming arm in arm with Kaleb but he had plans. Layla rushes to her immediately offering a hug and a drink. Simone found herself being told congratulations left and right. She nodded and smiled thanking them softly.