Chapter 21

Jordan blew out air seeing her line up with her row. He watched her smile big for the photographer before walking and waiting for her name to be called. Even at graduation rehearsal, he tried to force himself to focus on the instructions given to the class of graduating students. His mind was elsewhere. It was still stuck on their last conversation. He twisted the ring on his ring finger remembering the conversation with Spencer the night before.

Spencer had encouraged him to talk to Simone. It was the nicest thing he had said in the middle of his yelling. He didn't like letting people down. Rather it was his sister , his best friend or more importantly Simone. He felt like he had let her down the most. He couldn't even think of a good reason for his actions since. Spencer had counted too many nights of him coming around with liquor on his lips.

The late nights , the missed calls, the poor attendance to practices. Spencer had thought Jordan was doing okay since the stabbing. He thought therapy was working for him. He never thought he'd see his best friend taking a nose dive into forgetting everything and anyone that cared about him.

It was reckless behavior and Spencer knew that Jordan was better than his demons and impulsive behaviors to sleep with women whose first name he barely remembered.

"You better stand up and clap when her name is called." Olivia elbowed him.

"I am just fine with sitting. She didn't stand up for me." Jordan whispered back.

"Surprisingly, she did. You just weren't paying attention. She doesn't have to be the bigger person in this case. You do and she worked really hard." Olivia protested.

Olivia didn't have to mention how hard Simone worked, he was well aware of the time and effort she put in anything she was passionate about.

"Will you drop it?" He didn't want to keep having this same conversation.

"No. You're drinking , sleeping with random women and smelling like weed."

She hated even acknowledging it but she didn't like seeing this side of him.

"It was one time." Jordan huffed at the small mention.

"I don't care. What do you think mom will say if she found out you were smoking weed?"

"Please, she could care less. You're the golden child." His eyes rolled as he shifted in his seat. A dead giveaway that he was uncomfortable.

"Where is all this hostile energy coming from Jordan? You are responsible for the decisions you make. Simone has been in -" Liv wanted him to stop being stupid.

"Can we stop talking about her? We're over." He interrupted his sister, pulling out his phone to distract him but it was hard when his lock screen was still a photo of them.

He sat idle hearing her accomplishments being called out. Of course she was awarded for her involvement on campus, her stellar grades and her performance on the tennis team. He knew that whatever she touched, Simone made a hundred times better including himself.

Jordan rubbed his ears hearing Olivia stand up and scream as Simone walked across the stage. He looked up, catching her eye briefly. He could feel a lump in his throat. No matter how cold he was, how angry he was at everyone beating a dead horse - he was proud of her. He was always going to be proud of her which made letting her go harder then he intended.

She was the love of his life.

"You two are best - "

"Olivia! Please for the love of all things holy, stay out of our business. It was between her and I." He stressed for hopefully the last time. He was tired of her involvement and commentary.