Chapter 35 [M]

Age thirteen

Jordan watches for the millionth time as Mr. Hicks shows him how to change the tire on his bike. He goes on and on about the importantance of knowing skills that will last him a lifetime. All the things that his mother was likely clueless about. Devon had the neighborhood men to teach him about how to fix things. He never liked depending on others just because he had the money too.

"Now you try it J."

Devon eyes follows Jordan's gaze that is stuck on his daughter practicing for tennis tryouts. He watches her hit the tennis ball and it bounce off the garage. How quick she is to catch it before it rolls down the driveway where they are. He smiles hearing her act as if she had some competitor to beat.

"Jordan! Stop making heart eyes at my babygirl and put this tire on."

"Huh? Oh. Sorry Mr. Hicks. I-I wasn't making heart eyes." He shook his head quickly.

"Uh huh. And I am Batman."  Devon deepened his voice.

Jordan had pretty solid memory and had seen Devon complete the task enough times to do exactly what he asked. Devon smiles proudly and pats him on the back.

"Soon enough when you are able to drive and hopefully it won't happen but if Simone ever gets a flat, she won't have to call me crying about it. You can be the knight in shining armor for her." Devon laughed.

"We're just friends Mr. Hicks." Jordan could feel his neck get hot.

"Sure, you know her birthday is around the corner."

"Yeah, I have no idea what to get her."

"Well, I think I can help with that. Serena Williams is playing a match and she has been begging me to go. We skipped out last year but why don't you go in my place. I can drop you guys off with Ashlynn and consider it your birthday gift to her."

"Wouldn't she know it's from you?"

"Sure, but I think she would like you being there verses her old man." Devon looked over his shoulder hearing Simone call Jordan over.

"Now go be her Arthur Ashe, kid." Devon shooed him away.

"Thanks again Mr. H."

" Anytime."

~*~
January 2034

"So, are you going to compete this year?"

Simone looks across the court at Olivia. She had her curly haired friend running up and down the court chasing after that stupid yellow ball. Olivia was now laid out on the court trying to catch a breathe.

Sure, she was a dancer in her youth but keeping fit for fun sucked in the opinion of the older Baker twin, but it was good practice for Lauren to see Simone's hard work.

"Of course. I don't want to sit on the sidelines and just be known as the girlfriend of your brother."

"First of all, you're way cooler than Jordan to this day and secondly, you are not jobless. You have more going for you than some of the other wags."