Chapter Three

Chapter Three: Helaena's Brothers

Vhaela Targaryen 

The next couple of days I spend hanging out with Helaena. We would often go explore the castle walls and hide from our septa. Sometimes she would say weird phrases, but I never really questioned it. If she wanted me to understand she would tell me.

We now walk arm in arm towards the castle gardens. Ever since our first day together she has been dying to take me to the garden. She wanted to teach me all there is to know about the different insects that live in the ground.

I was just happy enough to have finally made a friend.

Nearing the entrance there is a row of greenery that is filled with various colors of roses. I break away from Helaena and rush closer to the beautiful flowers. Softly I rub my fingers between the petals. The flowers were never this magnificent in Runestone.

I turn around and glance at Helaena who has now moved to the other side of the greenery. She gracefully lowers herself to the ground and begins looking around in the dirt. I make my way toward her and carefully sit beside her.

Her hands play around in the messy soil staining her hands a light brown. A sudden creature makes its way into her hand. It's long and thin thing with a pinkish undertone. It inches between her fingers like a dance.

I glance at Helaena who is smiling at the little creature and ask her "What is it?"

She plays with it more in her fingers before offering the creature to me. Skeptically I take the creature and the slime that it leaves on my hand makes me cringe. It inches slowly and weaves in and out of my fingers.

"It's an earthworm." Helaena says in a meek tone.

I let out a giggle as I say, "It is really slimy. It feels funny."

As I turn to face her, I see Helaena's eyes widen in appreciation. A smile grows on her face as she watches me with the creature. She moves closer to me in a small jump and points at the earthworm.

"They don't breathe as other creatures do. They breathe through their skin." Helaena informs me with eagerness laced in her tone.

I tilt my head to the side inspecting the creature further. It slithers from one hand to the other slowly trying to escape my fingers. After a time, I lower my hands to the dirt allowing the earthworm to flee into the ground.

Another insect catches her attention, and she reaches for it. Instead, my eyes divert towards a boy heading towards us. He has the silver hair that Helaena and I share and the purple eyes that my father has.

The boy slowly approaches us, and his eyes turn questioning by my presence. He looks over the features on my face and my silver-white hair.

"Who are you?" The boy demands in a bitter tone.