Chapter Thirty-One

Chapter Thirty-One: The Royal Command

Vhaela Targaryen

My eyes run across the page of words from left to right. The large book in my lap weighs me down against the staircase that I so frequent. The tale of my story pulls me into the book. With the outside world fading around me.

Well, all but besides Tarik who stands a few feet from me. I pick my head up from my book and watch as he looks around us keeping guard. A soft smile begins to form on my lips at the sight of him acting so seriously.

From the months that we have been training, I have grown quite close to him. He was always supportive of me and willing to put up with my temper. But as I grow fonder, I grow equally sad. It only makes me remember Dawsin and how much I missed him.

I don't think anyone could replace him.

But Tarik sure did ease my pain on it. I watch as his eyes slightly narrow before growing closer to the half wall where I rest my back against. Then his eyes grow large which makes me push the heavy book off my lap to where I can stand.

The sound of a dragon makes me immediately stand next to Tarik. My eyes widen at the sight of Vhagar flying directly toward the castle. Tarik begins to pull me to his side and tries to drag me away from the castle and down the stairs.

But I firmly push him away while softly questioning "Aemond?"

I begin to rush up against the staircase while Vhagar slowly makes her way down to land in what I could guess would be the courtyard. My thoughts begin to wander at why Aemond is here during the day. He knew he would get in trouble if he got caught.

So why was he here?

Did something happen?

The thoughts only cause me to rush further up the stairs with Tarik trailing behind me. He shouts and protests against continuing, but I simply ignore him. I had to see why Aemond was here. Nothing would stand in the way of that.

I come to approach the courtyard and I hear the rubble of Vhagar as I watch Aemond descend from her. My eyes widen in excitement at his appearance, and I quickly rush to make my way to him. He turns and his eyes are instantly on me.

But instead of his calm and collected demeanor, he was frantic. It causes me to narrow my eyes as I rush toward him. But before I could reach him my head turns at the sound of rapid footsteps approaching. My eyes narrow harshly at the sight of my father and his wife.

My father looks to be in a fit of rage at the sight of Aemond and his dragon. I then go to stand in between the two but a few steps away from them simply watching them.

I then hear the voice of my father let out "What are you doing here, boy?"

I watch as Aemond's eye narrows at the insult before he looks at me and then back to my father. My own do the same but my father's eyes connect with my own. He harshly looks back to Aemond before taking a step toward him.