Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen: Streets of King's Landing

Vhaela Targaryen

The stench of the city overfills my nostrils as Dawsin, and I walk side by side down the street. The smell was still present in the castle walls sticking against the walls and doors. But being in the streets itself is a whole different story.

It smells of horse shit and just plain dirtiness. The streets are covered with various dead animals and bones in some places. While other sides of the city were much more well-maintained. These conditions were awful.

As we walk into a sea of people Dawsin moves his hand to my shoulder. Even though it has been more than a full year since he left as I went to the dragon pit, he has refused to let up. Dawsin is always near me and taking precautions about our surroundings.

People shove us as we walk by them, but I can tell Dawsin shoves each person back. He could be so mean at times. But with us trying to wander the city it was useful to have him around scaring anyone who dared to come close.

Once we pass the heavy crowd of people he asks, "Should we return to the castle, my lady?"

I turn my head to him and narrow my eyes in confusion and ask "Why? We just got here?"

A heavy gruff releases from him and I watch as his head turns around surveying the area. His hand moves away from my shoulder and to his hip that rests his sword. There did not seem to be a problem at the moment, but I could tell the city streets made him tense.

"It is not safe out here." He says firmly.

I roll my eyes at him and chuckle out "That's why I have you Dawsin. You won't let anything happen to me."

A frown forms on his face and I can almost see his eyes roll in return. He then stares away from me and toward the people who pass by. As each person passes, he gives them a harsh glare which they return.

I shove his shoulder playfully which causes him to return a glare back at me. This causes me to let out a heavy laugh. The hood on my head threatens to move up with my laughing so I quickly put my hand on top to stop it from moving.

The only way I could convince Dawsin to let me go to the streets was if I wore a hood to cover my hair. I reluctantly agreed because I knew my bright silver hair is easily recognizable. And with it being a prominent feature of my house the common people would be well aware of who I was.

"Remind me again why you wished to come to this shit hole," Dawsin asks me with his nose scrunched from the smell.

I roll my eyes at him once more before I say, "The castle is making me feel trapped. I wanted out to explore the world."

He shakes his head at me with a light laugh before he states, "There are way better places to explore than this place, my lady."

I huff out at him and begin to look at all the various things sellers have along the street. Some look at me suspiciously as I inspect their items while others try to persuade me. Dawsin stands behind me watching all around us.