Chapter Fifty-Six

Chapter Fifty-Six: A Feast for a Hero

Vhaela Targaryen 

Aemond and I walk arm-in-arm down the hallway of Maegor's Holdfast and in the direction of the throne room. Where a feast is to be held in Aemond's honor. For the act of killing Lucerys. It was none other than Aegon's idea once he heard the news.

I still remember the devious smile that worked its way to his lips when Aemond told him. The two brothers embraced in a hug. It was one of the rare times I ever saw them getting along. But their enjoyment did not last long when Alicent and Otto entered the room.

No, they were not amused whatsoever by the news.

Like me, their faces were pale at the realization.

Fear littered their expressions and rightfully so. They all knew there was no making peace with Rhaenyra now. Nothing would stop the warpath that she creates to get revenge for her son. Aemond had stupidly given the blacks more ignition to their flames.

At that thought I feel my head lightly begin to shake before turning to look at my idiot husband. He stares straight ahead with a blank look on his face. A recent expression he wore around me ever since returning from Storm's End a couple of days ago.

But the moment we were around others his blank expression would seamlessly shift to his usual cocky one. I knew something was troubling him and it was easy for me to tell. But I knew it would be a battle to try and pull it out of him.

So, I instead chose to take a softer approach as I say, "Aemond?"

At my voice, his head swiftly moves to look down at me. His sapphire and lilac eye meet my own as I give him a soft smile. He does not give me one in return, but I feel his hand that grazes my own begin to gently stroke my knuckles.

"Are you okay?" I ask him with a curious stare.

He silently answers with a soft nod of his head before he moves closer to me and presses a kiss on the top of my forehead. It causes me to furrow my eyebrows at his action, but I remain quiet. As he parts from me, I look into his one good eye intensely.

It was hard to gather what little emotion he showed to me but even without it, I knew something was bothering him. And if he wasn't going to tell me I would just have to figure it out myself. At the sound of nearby footsteps our heads dart in that direction.

My eyes widen and a giant smile appears on my lips at the sight of Dawsin wearing a hard frown. I immediately withdraw my hand from Aemond and rush over to Dawsin. At the sight of me, I watch as a small smile begins to form on Dawsin's lip.

With the bronze armor he wears I knew I would be unable to hug him, so I just press my hands against his chest as I smile up at him.

"What are you doing here!" I ask with excitement laced in my tone.