Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty: The Reunion 

Vhaela Targaryen 

I brush Helaena's hair in soft strokes. After the long journey to Driftmark, we were sent straight to our chambers to freshen up after the boat ride. I quickly joined in Helaena's chamber hoping that my father would not think to look in her chamber.

It was not like I truly believe that the first thing he would do after arriving on Driftmark would be to search me out. But I needed to prepare for anything that my would-be father does. I was not about to talk to him out of my own free will.

But my anger for him has to resign for now. I had a much bigger problem to deal with.

Helaena's and Aegon's engagement.

Just the very thought of it was extremely maddening. I had no grasp on whose idea this was but when I find out they better wish I hadn't. When the queen announced the news before our departure, I had almost killed Aegon.

Aemond had reluctantly pulled me off his older brother. But he knew he would not be safe in my presence again. I set down the brush that was once in Helaena's hair. In the faint mirror on the desk, I watch as Helaena frowns.

I slowly make my hands rest on her shoulders. Then I bring my head down and lay it on her shoulder and lean into her. Her hand makes its way to my hand on her shoulder, and she squeezes it tightly. A light sigh escapes from her.

"What can I do for you Helaena? Let me stop this!" I say desperately.

She shakes her head softly and looks down at her lap and says, "There is nothing that will stop this."

"A knife in his heart would," I say sharply.

Helaena lets out a small gasp at my words and retracts her hand from my own. This makes me raise my head from her shoulder and my hands. She turns around in her chair and looks at me with a soft scowl.

She waves her finger at me and commands me "You will do no such thing Vhaela."

I let out a heavy sigh and roll my eyes as I tell her "You just have to say the word."

Helaena shakes her head again and softly tells me "It is my future. I see it in my dreams. I will have to marry Aegon."

The mention of her dreams silences me. If she had dreamed about this, then there was no way of avoiding it. I don't claim to know a lot of how her visions work but from what she tells me I know this is set in stone.

I then move my hands back up to her hair and begin to braid it in a ring around the back of her skull. Her eyes are somber as she stares at herself in the mirror. It pains me to see her this way and if I could do anything to stop it I would. But I know she knows that.

It is the only comforting thing for me at this moment.

I finish off the braid in her hair and part ways with her. She turns her head to see the braid in the small mirror in front of her. A small smile appears on her lips which makes one form on my own. Helaena turns around and gets out of her chair.