Chapter Forty

Chapter Forty: The Test of Loyalty 

Vhaela Targaryen 

I stand in place trying not to struggle against my maid as she pulls the strings tighter to my body. She makes a move to pull the string tighter and I let out a wince as she sucks all my breath from me. From behind me, I can feel her movement stop.

"I'm sorry milady!" Cira instantly apologizes.

I turn to her, and I watch as her eyes widen fearfully. My eyes narrowed at her behavior, but I slowly form a smile to show her I was not mad. Cira's face slowly drops her fearful expression as she stares at me with a soft one.

My hand moves to her own as I assure her "It's okay Cira it happens."

She gives me a slow nod and I return to my position facing away from her. I feel her hands move their way back to the strings of the dress. Cira does not move to tighten it any further but instead ties it together.

A sudden knock on my chamber door pulls my attention away from Cira. I bid them in, and I watch as my father enters my chamber. A heavy sigh escapes me at the sight of him. It has been a few days since I have arrived at Runestone, and he has since stayed.

It was driving me insane.

He strides into the room with heavy footsteps, and I watch as Cira leans down into a deep bow before him. My father pays her no mind and moves to sit in one of my chairs that faces me. I watch as Cira rushes out of my chamber in a hurry.

No doubt trying to get away from my father. From the little time I have spent here, I could see how everyone both feared and hated him. It was mostly the latter though. It felt nice to be around people that did not worship the ground he walks on.

I stare at him with heavy annoyance on my expression. He looks at me up and down noticing my new dress. His eyes pierce through the bronze material and the small black details that accent the bronze. It was more of a dress to me. But a symbol of who I have now become.

Lady of Runestone.

His mouth turns into a firm pout as he looks at it. His reaction brings a small smile to my own. I then slowly walk toward him allowing my dress to sway with each step.

"What is it you need?" I ask him.

My father turns his stare back up at me connecting our eyes. His firm hard eyes bore into me hard almost as if he was trying to intimate me. I hold his glare before crossing my arms over my chest. My eyebrows raise at him becoming impatient.

He then says, "We need to settle the matter of your guard."

Still with my brows raised I ask "We?"

I see him release a soft sigh as he moves out of the chair, he is currently hunched in. He moves toward me, and my eyes follow him as he approaches me. My arms untangle from themselves, and I clasp them in front of me.