Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen: The Tourney

Vhaela Targaryen

I hear a heavy gruff come from Helaena as she tries to braid her hair. She struggles with multiple strands of hair in her hand forming tiny knots. Her hands flay in the air dramatically which makes her drop the knots.

A small laugh forms on my lips but I refrain from letting it slip. I get up from my sitting position and head over to her. When I reach her, I stand behind her and grab the hairbrush that sits on the table. I slowly begin to brush over the knots.

"I hate my hair." She grumbles out.

The laugh I was once trying to hold in slips out. She turns her head and looks up at me with a small frown. I give her an adoring smile as I lower my head down to her level.

I softly say "I think your hair is stunning. You just need a little help is all."

She gives me a shy smile in return and a faint blush appears on her cheeks. Her head turns back around in the chair, and I begin to brush her hair again. I then slowly start to part it and add simple braids from the start of her face to the back of her head.

Helaena's mother had requested us to get ready for the tourney a couple of hours ago. It was being held for the two new princes' health, Daeron, and Jacaerys. I think it may just be an excuse to hold a tourney but who was I to care?

I continue to weave and braid Helaena's hair together forming a style I know she likes. When I finish up, I move away from her, and Helaena instantly moves to see her reflection in the small mirror. Her eyes widen and a large, small grows on her face at the sight of her hair.

She quickly turns around and wraps her hair around me. I let out a chuckle at her admiration and return her hug lightly making sure she does not grow uncomfortable. Helaena then releases her hold on me and bashfully backs away.

"Thank you Vhaela, it looks beautiful." She says meekly.

I smile at her and say, "It was already beautiful before, but I am glad you like it."

Her face is now booming with delight and a small smile forms on her lips. She sways in her bright green dress that is littered with gold details. While she wore her mother's house colors, I wore both red and bronze for my parents.

It was a new dress that the queen had granted me to design, and I am absolutely in love with it. So, I decided that for the fancy occasion I would wear it out for the first time. It was nice to always have a piece of them with me.

I then stare down at my finger where the dragon ring from my father resides. My fingers begin to play with it and slowly start to spin it around. A frown begins to form on my face at remembering where I got this ring.

My thoughts then vanish at the sound of the door opening. I turn around fast to see Aemond and Aegon approaching. The two are wearing matching green tunics and it brings a small chuckle out of me. I bet it was a fight to get them to wear the fancy shirt.