Chapter Seventy-Eight

Chapter Seventy-Eight: To Say Goodbye

Vhaela Targaryen 

Seated across from me, Helaena holds a piece of fabric in her lap, skillfully moving the needle in and out sewing the pieces together. My gaze remains fixed on her as I watch her create yet another dress for Jaehaera with such care.

I envied the way her skill came naturally to her, especially when we were little. It was always incredibly hard work, requiring exceptional patience, something I lacked. So, instead of running the risk of pricking my finger, I watched as she delicately crafted the dress.

The sound of the door creeping open has my neck snapping in its direction. My rapid breathing calmed at the sight of Cira heading towards us with a small tray of food and beverages. She nears me with a wary smile on her lips.

Cira gives a low bow of her head as she addresses me. "My lady."

I returned her gesture with a faint smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. It was hard to keep up with pleasantries when I was not in the mood to see anyone. However, Cira didn't seem to mind and placed the tray in front of me. In an instant, my eyes scan over the various desserts and fruits adorned on the tray.

"Please eat, my lady. I made sure the cooks prepared some lemon cakes, your favorite." Cira says with an eager smile.

Her words bring a sparkle to my eyes, and I slowly turn my gaze down at the cakes. A small rumble ignites within my stomach, the first one I had heard in a while. I faintly flicker my gaze her way and she gives me an enthusiastic nod of her head.

I then quickly reach down and snatch a cake from the tray and thrust it in my mouth. The soft spongey cake envelopes a citrusy vibrant flavor in my mouth. A groan slips from my lips at the mere taste of it. Over the past fortnight, everything seemed to dissolve to ash in my mouth but not these cakes.

Gods they were wonderful.

Savoring the rich and zesty flavor, I quickly shove another in my mouth. Cira chuckles softly at my eagerness, and I glance back at her cautiously while popping another inside. A smile beams on her lips, and when I turn towards Helaena, I find her wearing a matching smile.

My eyes roll playfully at the two before my attention turns to Cira, reminding me of the letter I had intended for Lord Gerold. He had responded to my reports of asking the condition of Runestone after the attack Nettles had ensued. Thankfully, Viserys was unharmed, and he reported minimal damage as well as only two casualties.

However, I would continue to keep my youngest brother's presence a secret. 

I simply could not risk it, not even with Helaena.

I hastily stand and stride across the room to where the letter sits on top of my desk. With a heavy breath, I then cross back to where Cira stands staring with a content smile. Her eyes zone in on the letter that I hand to her.