Chapter 42

Jasper's POV: (Dec. 15th) 

I found myself pacing in my room as I had been for the last three nights. I had just found out from an email from Mr. Michaels that as Margaret was out sick and I was out of town we could turn in a paper instead of an oral presentation for our history project. It wasn't that I cared about though, it was the fact that Margaret hadn't been in school for that long. That wasn't like her, and all I could think about was how she had been having a bad feeling before I left Friday. What if I left and something did happen. 

"I should have never come here." (J)

All I could think about if that bastard had done something to my mate. I should have killed the motherfucker for shouting at my mate that one time, let alone every put a hand on her. And instead I left her in the same house unprotected with him. I knew in my bones that something was wrong with my mate, something was happening to her.  I heard someone sigh at my door and glanced to see Edward standing there with an exasperated look on his face.

"If wouldn't be the safest option for the family to do what you're thinking. Even if I can understand it." (Ed)

"She wasn't safe there. I shouldn't have left her." (Jas)

"Would you have wanted to kill him in front of her?" (Ed)

I don't answer him as I growl out in frustration. If I thought I could get her away from the house and then go back and kill him then I would have done that, but she wouldn't have come so willingly without a clear answer as to why I needed her out of the house so badly. I had started pacing again when I heard Alice gasp followed by Edward's sharp intake of breath before calling for Carlisle and Emmett. I soon found myself staring at Alice and Edward who were looking at me with calculating looks and Carlisle who looked rather confused about everything that was going on.

"Emmett, hold Jasper. Jasper just wait and hear us out. Carlisle, you and Edward need to go straight to Margaret's house, not ours." (Alice)

I froze where I was standing when I heard my mate's name and the hint of panic in Alice's voice, giving Emmett the chance he needed to grab hold of me. Carlisle looked confused for a moment before a sense of clarity washed over him and he nodded before rushing from the room with Edward. I looked back at Alice who had guilty and remorseful emotions washing over her.

"Alice, what's wrong with my mate?" (Jas)

"I was watching her future, have been for a while but this didn't show up until just now. I don't know why, it was like it was being blocked from my seeing it." (Alice)

"What's happened?!?!?" (Jas)

"I can't be the one to tell you that. She needs to be the one to tell you that Jazz." (Alice)

I felt a snarl rip through my chest as I realized that my mate was hurt and Emmett was holding me back from going to her. I was going to kill the ones that even dared laid a finger on her, I was going to rip them limb from limb. I was going to introduce them to the Major of the South and they would fear me worse than the fires of hell for touching her. I broke from Emmett's hold and raced out of the Denali's house without even so much as a goodbye and raced to make it to my mate. 

Margaret's POV:

I had lost track of time, of the number of times Randy had raped me, of the number of cigarette burns that littered my body, of everything. I was waiting to die, I was hoping for death more now than I ever had before. I hadn't dreamed about it, but maybe that was part of my 'gift.' I would see everyone's death but my own. Sort of crappy if you think about it, never knowing how you're going to go out but knowing everyone else's death.

I thought for a moment I heard banging on the front door but I also still felt that I was rather drunk from the last bottle that Randy had given me earlier this morning or was it last night. I heard the front door slam open and then the bedroom slam open and I felt tears grow in my eyes at the thought of another night with Randy. Why couldn't I just die?? Did God hate me so much that he couldn't grant me that one wish??

"Holy shit." (Ed)

"Edward, hold your breath and help me get the handcuffs off her as quickly and gently as possible." (Carlisle)

I heard the two voices, but thought I must be imagining them, as it sounded like Jasper's father and younger brother. I forced my eyes open just as Carlisle placed a sheet over most of my body and looked up at me. It was then I would have believed that he was Jasper's true father and not just adopted father because his eyes held just as much emotion as Jasper's always did.

"We're getting you out of here Margaret. Alright. You're safe now." (Carlisle)

I thought about his words that were spoken in a soft and comforting sounding voice and for a moment I was foolish enough to believe them, until I saw how close both he and Edward were to me. I felt panic and fear rise up in my chest even as they somehow broke the handcuffs off my wrists just as Edward had apparently done with the ones on my ankles. I sat up on the bed slowly as my body ached in protest and my head spun, watching as they took a step away from the bed, but they were still too close for my comfort. To be this close to a man meant getting hurt.

I don't know what my alcohol induced brain decided to try and do but as I pushed myself off the bed and into the corner of the room, I didn't question it. I felt tears burn the cuts on my face as I cried after hitting the floor. I watched as they came around the bed and walked towards me. I raised one arm in front of my face, bracing for the slap or punch or kick that was coming and attempted to keep the sheet as close to my beaten and bloody body as I could with the other arm.

"Carlisle, she thinks we're going to hurt her." (Ed)

"Can you blame her? Margaret it's alright, we're not here to hurt you." (Carlisle)

"No.....please.......leave me alone.......please." (Mag)

I heard the front door bang open again but by the time I opened my eyes again I could see Jasper standing in the room next to Carlisle. His eyes which were normally a bright golden color were black as the sky without any stars in it. He took a step towards me, avoiding Edward's hand in trying to keep him back and was soon kneeling in front of me.

"Darlin, it's alright. We're here to help you." (Jas)

He was too close to me, he was right in front of me and as he stared at me all I could see was Randy's sneer as he raped me again. All I could feel was his warm breath on my neck as he left another bite mark, while his hands roamed my body as I cried and prayed for death. I felt my breathing pick up as I started to shake, before I realized I couldn't breathe. The room itself was becoming darker around me as he stared at me.

"No....don't touch me......please.......don't touch me.....don't touch me." (Mag)

Then Jasper moved away from my line of vision and Carlisle took his place, still too close for my liking as my mind reminded me of everything Randy had done and they could do to me all over again. My breathing became ragged and rapid as tears fell freely down my cheeks, still burning the cuts as they fell. I could hear my heartbeat in my ears, but as I looked at Carlisle I realized who he was now. I realized why he had always looked familiar, as I had had nightmares with him in them since the day of the crash.

"You were......doctor in car crash......." (Mag)