Chapter 65

Jasper's POV:

I had been fighting against Carlisle's, Emmett's, and Edward's hold on me until I heard her last words. A monster. She said that I had made her a monster. I had always feared she would come to regret being made into a vampires as so many of us did at some point in our existence. But I had been hoping to have a few years with her happy by my side. At her words all the fight went out of me and Carlisle began working as quickly as he could again to ensure I hadn't reopened any of the wounds. It wasn't until Edward was shouting my name and was mere inches from my face that I allowed my senses to return to me.

"Jasper, it wasn't you she was talking about. It was Randy. She was blaming him, not you. Esme and Rosalie lost her scent. Alice is trying to see where she went now." (Ed)

"She....she wasn't talking about me? You're sure?" (J)

"Yes. I swear it." (Ed)

"She goes past Mount Martin but past that I can't see where she ends up. She was on her knees in a forest sobbing. I'll keep watching." (Al)

I knew as soon as Carlisle finished I was going to search every forest between here and Mississippi. I had to find her. I just had to. She had to know she wasn't a monster, and even if she was so am I. And even monsters deserve love and happiness.

Margaret's POV:

I was sitting against an oak. The sparse snow on the ground standing out against the black and browns of the trees and the bare winter ground around me. My knees were pulled up to my chest as tears still fell from my eyes. I didn't know where to go or what to do. I was lost. It wasn't until I heard male voices and laughter nearby that I froze, weighing my options until they saw me and I realized it was too late to run.

"Whew, found that smell. It's over here." (Clay)

"Not like you to call a crying girl an it." (Bert)

"He's right though, smell it. Disgusting. What are you doing out here leech?!?" (Mike)

I was going to stand until I realized that the other guys were already on top of me, flanking me on either end. Though I knew I would be able to defend myself with my new strength, something told me they weren't human. And worse, my brain was sending off every alarm bell it could at the men around me. Men were dangerous. No matter the species. I whimpered as the biggest, the one that called me a leech raised his hand whether to slap or grab me I don't know but I raised my hand ready to brace for a hit. It was then that a fourth voice joined them, one that I recognized.

"NO! Mike, leave her alone, I know her! Margaret? It is you isn't it? Are you alright?" (Carly)

I lowered my hand away from my face as I saw Carly kneeling next to me on the ground. She looked shocked as she looked at me, whether at seeing me out here in the woods or perhaps my new appearance as I knew I looked different. She carefully reached toward me and gently took my hand into hers. I saw her start to say something but I missed it as I was instantly sucked into a vision, one that I knew was Carly's death and yet I wondered how as I wasn't asleep.

I was standing in a room with pale blue walls, and three windows with sun shining through along one wall. A machine was beeping and I looked in front of me to see an old man laying on the bed, his breath weak and shaky just as his heart was on the machine. I walked closer before I recognized the man as an older version of the one Carly had called Mike. Much older.

I looked to the person laying next to him, his hand entwined with hers and I saw it was a much older version of Carly. I listened as she was humming, her other hand running gently through the man's white hair. It was then I was stuck by the amount of pain she was in. I knew without looking closer that she was dying to, perhaps quicker than the man before me but she seemed to be fighting it.

"Let go Mikey, it's ok. I'm right behind you." (Carly)

I watched as she pressed a kiss to his cheek just as his monitors starting to blare alarm bells as his heart stopped. She let out a shaky sigh as her pain grew worse for a moment before it stopped just as suddenly as his had, her hand never leaving his even as both their souls left their bodies. It was the simplest death I had ever felt, and the pain though great was barely present compared to other deaths.

I blinked a few times to find Carly standing protectively in front of me as two of the guys yelled to move away from me. I whimpered again as one of them growled, as it sounded just like what Randy used to. It was then that Carly spun around to face me, Mike taking her place with his arms crossed over his chest as he stared at us and the other two guys.

"Are you ok Margaret? You're eyes went white and you weren't responding." (Carly)

"I....I used to have dreams of how people died but just now when you touched me I had a vision of one instead." (Mag)

"You saw her die? HOW?!?" (Mike)

"Yup, I'm getting Alpha Lucas now." (Bert)

"No, Bert don't do that yet! Dammit. Everyone calm down!" (Carly)

I saw the one named Bert disappear into the woods a few feet away, before I yelped as Mike seemed to draw closer to me even with Carly keeping herself between us. A few soft words and he was calm again but still shooting daggers at me as he kept a hand on shoulder ready to pull her away as if I even sneezed towards her.

"Do you want to tell me?" (Carly)

"It was.....peaceful. He....he went first and you followed. You were both old, grandparent age at least. It was one of the least painful deaths that I've had." (Mag)

"Ok......so the weird chick we found in the woods is your ex's foster kid and she has dreams of death. This just sounds like a regular Tuesday then." (Clay)

"Guys, we have to explain first. Randy never told her what we were. Did he?" (Carly)

"No, he.....he didn't. Elliot and Jasper explained some but not much, but he....he bit me" (Mag)

I was hoping that she would understand what that meant, as she was apparently the same thing that he had been. At least she 'we were,' so I was just assuming they were all monsters like me. I flinched some as both Carly the other two guys let out a growl, Carly's eyes seeming to shine an even brighter blue than they were before as she looked at me. 

"He bit you?!? Without consent?!?!?" (Carly)

I tried to answer, but the thought of what else he had done to me at the same time as the bite kept me from answering. I could only give a quick shaky nod of my head, flinching again at the growls before they seemed to be cut short and I wondered if Carly was trying to get the guys around me to stay calm.