Chapter 16

Feyre stepped out of the carriage, anger boiling in her blood. She knew she shouldn't have said what she did about their father, but anger was steering the ship. She had no doubt that Astrid had a hand in sending her home. Her sister was always finding a way to remind her that she was weaker than the fae, in any way that would count. She hated feeling useless about whatever was happening, something she was sure Astrid had figured out.

Her sister always figured it out, and now it all made sense why. She was trained to be calculating, probably trained to torture too. And this was part of why she was scared to have her home with their human family. She saw how Astrid was able to pin Lucien down, a male who loomed over her in height. She was sure there was no way Lucien would willing let Astrid hold him down like that, which meant Astrid was incredibly strong.

She hadn't seen Astrid actually fight anyone though, but she had seen the cold calculating stare that she must have perfected when she was a general. She heard how Astrid attacked with words, and it had to be a good indicator of how ruthless she was with a weapon or her hands. Feyre didn't know how well magic worked across the wall either, she wasn't sure if Astrid would use her mind magic if she slipped. Or even if she didn't, she had no Idea what her sisters' morals were anymore.

Lucien had told her what Astrid did to the two male fairies that came across them during fire night. Without a second thought she invaded their minds and made them leave. She couldn't risk her doing that with their family.

She spotted her sisters before they saw her, each smoothing their dresses and their brows raising at the carriage that was leaving behind her. The carriage that carried their sister back to the world of the fae.

Nesta curtseyed low, elain following after her, "Welcome to our home Lady..."

Feyre let out a laugh, "Nesta, don't you recognize your sister?"

Elain gasped, Nesta going rigid, "Feyre?" her softer sister reached for her but paused. "What of Aunt Ripleigh, then? Is she dead?"

Feyre nodded slowly, remembering that the story for her disappearance had been that she was taking care of a long-lost, wealthy aunt. Nesta looked her up and down, "She left you her fortune." Her voice as flat as Feyre remembered.

Neither sister had mentioned Astrid yet, and Tamlin hadn't told her the story he left for her sister. So, she'd have to wait for one of them to bring it up. She almost wondered if Tamlin might have glamoured the memories of Astrid away. And if he had and she found out, Tamlin was marked for death, probably a slow one.

"Feyre, you should have told us!" Elain said, still gaping. "Oh, how awful – and you had to endure losing her all on your own, you poor thing. Father will be devastated that he didn't get to pay his respects."

Feyre tried to keep her breathing steady, if they thought she had gone on her own, where did they think Astrid was? She had to find a way of asking without it being obvious she had next to no idea about what was going on.

"Why are you being so quiet?" Nesta kept her distance.

"I was just wondering how Astrid was, is she not here with you guys?" Feyre hoped she was not supposed to know where her sister was. "I'm also glad to see how well your own fortunes have improved, what happened?"

Elain beamed at her, a good sign. "Didn't you get our letters? Oh, you'll never believe it! Almost a week after you went to car for Aunt Ripleigh, some stranger appeared at our door." Elain continued to tell her how they got their money back and the mysterious appearance of the missing ships. But Feyre didn't care about that, she needed to know the story of where Astrid was, but it almost seemed Elain was ignoring that part.