Chapter 66 *

Lucien couldn't help the grim feeling that had settled in his chest when Astrid had silently directed him away from Elain. He wanted to understand how his mate felt, he wanted to understand why she was so insistent on still marrying the mortal boy, but he couldn't. For him, this was something that he had always dreamed of, that every fae has dreamed of. This meant they were equals in some way. How could she want to be with someone that was so obviously beneath her? Someone that is so obviously not worthy of her? Not that he truly believed that he was worthy of being Elain's mate, but it was a thought he pushed aside because who was he to question the Cauldrons decision?

He craved what he saw between Rhysand and Feyre. He had thought he'd have what Azriel has with Astrid. And watching the two mated couples together created a dark pit in his heart.

Lucien could only hope that Feyre and Astrid found a way to help Elain realize the reality of her new world. He didn't need to meet this mortal boy to know how he would react to her now, the iron engagement ring that he had heard mentioned told him enough. This boy would turn on her, try to kill her, and then Lucien would have to kill him. He already wanted to kill the mortal, it didn't matter if Elain accepted the bond or not, he could already feel that ball of possessiveness knotting up in his stomach.

Lucien was pulled from his thoughts when Astrids laughter echoed through the room. Before the events in Hybern, that sound would have caused an ache in his chest or a whirlpool in his stomach, but now he only felt happiness for his friend.

He looked over to find Cassian sitting in her lap as she tried to push him off. A huge smile lit up her face as she shoved at his back and tried to squirm out from underneath him. He glanced over at Rhysand who had his arm slung around Feyre, both of them watching the other two with small grins of their own.

Surprise briefly raised his red eyebrows closer to his hairline, before today, he would never have imagined such a pleasant and at ease look on the High Lords face. Lucien had always imagined and seen the male as evil, vindictive, and sadistic. But the events of today began to crush those thoughts to dust, and he had a nagging thought that he would continue to be surprised by Rhysand.

"Better get off of her Cass, before Az finds out and castrates you." Rhysand said with a chuckle.

Cassian paused as he seemed to think over his High Lords words before shrugging and leaning farther back so he had Astrid plastered against the back of the chair.

"I will bite your wings Cassian if you do not get off me in the next five seconds!" Astrid growled.

Lucien chuckled as he recalled something he had heard about Illyrians and their wings, something that was confirmed with Cassian's response.

"I know that you know that probably won't have the reaction you're hoping for." Cassian smirked over his shoulder at the fuming Astrid.

"What if I stab you ... in the neck?" Astrid asked.

Cassian rose a black eyebrow at her, "Pretty sure I'd just die while sitting on your lap."

Astrid paused her squirming and shoving as she glared at the Illyrians back, but it only took a moment before a grin pulled at her lips, "I won't help you with your ... situation."

Cassian finally stood up with a pout as he turned around to look down at her, "You promised Astrid!"

Astrid pulled her legs up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them as she continued to grin at him, "Then don't sit on me."

As Cassian and Astrid bickered back and forth Rhysand gestured for Lucien to follow him. Lucien reluctantly went with him and Feyre as the High Lord showed him to his room and went over the House rules with him.