hāre

DRAGONSTONE

"No word from Driftmark?" The woman asked.

"No, my lady, The Prince has not been seen at Driftmark." The guard replied.

The woman dismissed him with a wave and sat back in her chair.

Her husband was a wildcard, yet this sudden disappearance was out of the ordinary. He would normally tell Rhaenyra before he left, this time he did not.

It meant there would be something she would love or hate, and that frightened her. Daemon Targaryen was an unpredictable man, she knew more so than anyone.

The Princess of Dragonstone was broken out of her thoughts when the familiar screech of Caraxes was heard.

Rhaenyra quickly collected herself and made haste towards the bridge where he would land.

"Mother! Daemon has brought with him another dragon! And it has a rider! There's three people on it!" Lucerys exclaimed, Jacaerys hot on his tail, running up to their mother as they too heard the screech.

Rhaenyra froze. "Another dragon rider you say? Three on the dragon? Let's go see."

As Lyrax approached the castle of Dragonstone, Selaena and her entourage were entranced. It was beautiful.

"This castle is beautiful, reminds me of Elyria." Alessia said, in awe. Elyria was her favourite city of the three in Valyria.

"I heard there are wild dragons unclaimed in that mountain." Cassian said, pointing towards the large mountain near the castle. "Maybe I would claim one."

It would be possible, Cassian is of Valyrian descent. As many residents of Volantis are.

"I don't see why not." Selaena shrugged.

They watched as Daemon landed Caraxes on a large stone bridge, where a woman with long white hair and two boys with brown hair stood waiting.

Landing just behind Caraxes, the three dismounted and made their approach.

Selaena could feel the intense stare of the woman, Daemon's wife, Rhaenyra, heir to the Iron Throne. The two boys beside her staring at herself and Lyrax with amazement. The younger one focusing more on Lyrax.

From her quick survey, the elder of the two boys was her age, and quite attractive.

"Rhaenyra, I have brought a cousin of mine, she is the Queen of Mantarys, the Kingdom of Valyria." Daemon introduced her, breaking her out of her thoughts. "The two accompanying her are Cassian of Volantis and Alessia of Meereen."

The regal woman nodded at the young Queen and her companions. "Welcome to Dragonstone." She said coldly. "Why has my husband brought you here?"

Sensing rising tension, Cassian and Alessia have started reaching for their blades, Lyrax letting out a low growl, feeling their Queen was threatened; Daemon spoke up. "Let us speak privately, my wife."

After bringing Selaena and her devout friends to a private chamber, Daemon explained his disappearance and his cousins arrival to Rhaenyra.

The Princess of Dragonstone was not pleased at first. Her husband had gone behind her back to bring a usurper! A child the age of her Jacaerys no less!

"And what do you know of ruling a kingdom? You may wear the title of Queen, but no one knows of your supposed Kingdom." Rhaenyra had asked Selaena sharply.

The young Queen was prompted to chuckle, taking a small sip of her wine she was offered earlier. "I have kept my Kingdom of three cities a secret from your continent for 3 years, Princess. That much is not an easy feat, you are all rather meddlesome."

Rhaenyra went to speak, but Selaena continued. "My father, ruled the cities of Mantarys, Tolos and Elyria prior to my brother Daerion and I, as the Maeralys family has since before the doom. After the death of his first wife, the mother of my siblings, he left it all behind. Arriving in Volantis, he met my mother, Saera Targaryen. Who also had a "kingdom" of her own."

Rhaenyra's eyes flashed with something Selaena had not yet seen since meeting the woman.

Rhaenyra had secretly admired Saera Targaryen as a child. The Princess had done whatever she wanted, and she had taken slight inspiration from her. To meet the daughter of her once-idolized Princess was a shock.

"You are the daughter of Saera Targaryen?" Rhaenyra asked after a moment of silence.

Selaena nodded, and Daemon spoke up. "I apologize for not clearing up her parentage earlier."

The man was ignored and Selaena spoke up again. "Indeed I am. The disgraced Targaryen Princess' daughter. However, no matter. You want to know how I am fit to rule? From the moment I could learn to speak, I was only taught High Valyrian. The moment I could hold up a sword I began training. I accompanied my father on journeys across Essos. I freed slaves in the city of Meereen at the age of 13, and that is how I met Alessia. She is who taught me your Andal language. I have freed people in the cities of Volantis, Lys and all of my Kingdom from poverty, and built orphanages and schools. Cassian has sworn to me because of my efforts. I have explored the ruins of Old Valyria and returned alive, bonded to a dragon the size of a mountain, who had never seen a human before."

Rhaenyra was stunned. This young girl has accomplished more in her short life than Rhaenyra ever hoped she would be able to as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms.

"I see myself more fit to rule than your father, the current King. I have heard he is overcome with sickness, however that is no excuse to leave the fate of your Kingdom in the hands of a cunt of a Hand. At first, I wanted no part in usurping your birthright, however, I cannot stand idly by as this injustice continues. I have been informed of the rift in your family, am I correct?"

Rhaenyra swallowed, and eyed her husband. Of course he would tell her. The separation of the Blacks and Greens grows bigger every day.

"You are correct."

Selaena smiled and sipped her wine. "Introducing an outlier into the equation could cause some great change, wouldn't you agree?"

"I happen to agree with you." Daemon spoke.

The metaphor rang through the Princess' head. Indeed, infighting could be avoided, should neither her or Aegon sit the throne.

Her father isn't a fool, he sees the conflict, and just chooses to ignore. If he were prompted with this idea, away from the whispers of Alicent and Otto, he might be accepting.

The once heir to the throne eyed the young Valyrian Queen. "Very well, Queen Selaena. I will support your quest in taking the Iron Throne."

apologies for the wait on an update! I was not sure how I wanted to write this chapter so I struggled for a bit. Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think :)