tōma

there will be a few pov changes in this chapter

As Selaena brushed Alessia's hair for the night, she started to think back when she first met her elder companion.

~

Her and her father, Jaevon, were exploring the city of Meereen, the largest in Slaver's Bay. The once-King wanted his daughter to see and experience the life those not born into her shoes had to live.

The last journey she had taken with her father was this one, and turned out to be the most memorable.

Selaena had witnessed a slave girl, only a few years elder than herself, being whipped for simply dropping a large crate of fruit.

It appalled the young Valyrian. Before Jaevon could grab her, Selaena had cut the man's hand off before the whip could strike the girl again.

"Treating those who work for you as less than speaks volumes on your own character." Selaena said coldly, not realizing the scene she has created.

Jaevon grabbed his daughter and the slave girls wrists, pulling them away from the screaming and bloody man. Knowing his daughter would want the girl to come with them.

"What were you thinking creating a scene!" Jaevon shouted at her, as the three managed to clear the area. Luckily, they had always covered their trademark white hair whenever travelling, so they escaped with ease.

"What else would you expect me to do father?" Selaena exclaimed. "You have always taught me that injustice be served with justice. You brought me here to learn what it is like in their shoes, now this one has learned what it is like in my shoes. To be protected. A fair trade."

Jaevon leant back. She was right. She had done exactly what he had been teaching her to do from the moment she was born. To treat everyone justly. He turned to the slave girl. "What is your name, girl?"

The girl looked up for the first time since they escaped and faced her saviours. "This one is Alessia. I am forever in your debt. Please do me the favour and let me serve you."

The girl got on her hands and knees, begging Selaena.

"Rise, friend." Selaena said calmly. "You and I, are equal now. You are my companion and I am yours."

Selaena looked to Jaevon, who already knew. "It is time to return home. Come on, we must make haste."

~

Selaena had kept that memory so fond in her heart, as only a few short months later, Jaevon had passed away from an illness.

"You are feeling troubled.. What is it my love?" Alessia questioned, turning to face her friend after she stopped brushing her hair.

Selaena sighed. "I miss father. I miss Daerion, Daegon and Daena." She clutched the vial on her necklace, she could feel the energy of her siblings.

"They are all so proud of you." Alessia said, wrapping her arms around Selaena's shoulders.

After a few moments of silence, Selaena whispered. "I do not know what I would do without you, my dear friend."

It was true in a sense, without the incidents where she met Cassian and Alessia, she would not be on the path she is today. She owed it all to them, and she would do anything for them. If something were to happen to either of the two, Selaena was not sure of the outcome.

"The girl is powerful. Will she be enough?" Rhaenyra asked her husband.

Daemon turned from the crib of their youngest, Aegon, who was fast asleep.