jēnqa ampā

The high she felt after coronation and flying with Jacaerys quickly wore off as she entered her chambers for the night. Something was off.

The balcony window she had shut prior to leaving was now wide open, the curtains flowing in the wind.

As she made her way towards the window, she felt a presence behind her.

"Whatever you're thinking of doing will not be a great idea." She said, still facing the window.

A light laugh was heard. "I'm glad being in this second-class Kingdom did not soften your resolve, sister."

She whipped around so fast you'd swear she gave herself whiplash. The one who broke into her room was none other than her sneaky brother, Daegon.

"Dagger!" She exclaimed, jumping into his open arms.

"Hello little dragon. I have missed you dearly."

She pulled away and smacked his arm. "You had no business staying in Qarth that long."

He smiled. "Were you not the one who ordered the assassination of Prince Xerxes?"

She rolled her eyes. "Yeah, whatever. He shouldn't have tried to rob our shipment of dragonglass being sent to Prince Odariis. He signed the treaty, he knew his consequences. Anyways, you broke in through the window," She turned serious, "This is important, report solider."

The playful demeanour he had prior was now a matching serious one, "Whispers of a Faith Militant uprising in Oldtown and towns in the Southern Reach. Orders at the Sept in Oldtown were received from the Queen Alicent Hightower."

The expression on Selaena's face never changed, but the glint in her eyes told a different story. "Anything else?"

He nodded. "My spiders have seen your Cassian leaving the chambers of the Queen late at night, as well as spending copious amounts of time in the Hands Tower."

Selaena raised an eyebrow at that, and sighed. "I had feared that were the case, but I hoped it was not. Thank you Daegon."

Her elder brother nodded. "I am sorry about Cassian."

"I fear it was only a matter of time. I knew he was not truly happy, even with all I have done for him. His happiness is not my responsibility, however."

He placed his hand on her shoulder. "I'll be back in a week with another report."

She nodded, and he left through the window without a sound, leaving her to her swarming thoughts.

She wasn't terribly worried about the Faith Miliant at the moment, they would take time gathering what they thought would be overwhelming forces. Her main concern? Cassian.

He had been her most trusted companion alongside Alessia for years, he knew most of the ins and outs of her standings. Well, not to a T.

The only ones who knew the true number of men in her armies was herself and her three siblings. She kept a tight rein on any information about her Kingdom, and thankfully it came in handy as usual.

She had remembered Cassian getting a bit upset in the past, accusing her of not trusting him because she would not tell him the men's statistics. He was quickly shut up when he learned even Lord Commander Nasaar had no clue.

Selaena gave Cassian the world, because for a time, he was her world. She was quite honestly in love with him after he saved her in Volantis, and his feelings were reciprocated. They had been romantically involved until Selaena shut it down, for her being involved with a lowborn had caused riots in her Kingdom, on the pretence she was becoming weak.