【𝟐𝟖】

Rumors were meant to be kept as whispers in the halls. But no matter how silent the whispers were, Levana still heard them and they haunted her so.

They began as hushed whispers in the courtyard before moving up to be echoes in the Red Keep's hallowed halls. Levana wished that she could be away from them and forget but it wasn't that easy — especially when her future with Aemond was on the line.

Still, the rumor had her at wit's end which prompted her to sneak out of the palace in the dead of night. She found herself in the streets of King's Landing in search of someone who many know as the White Worm.

Meanwhile, Aemond was in the company of his parents and Grandsire in the safety of the council chamber. The prince made his intentions clear to those present and his elders looked at him disappointedly.

"If the rumors are true," Otto began, "the earlier your wedding must happen."

"I will not marry Levana," Aemond stated, "her honor is worth more than this engagement."

"You dishonor her by even thinking about ending your engagement!" Queen Alicent interjected as her son shook his head.

The Queen sighed, "she has not been sleeping nor eating properly."

"Does she know?" Aemond asked, "has someone told her about the rumors?"

King Viserys turned to his youngest son and nodded, "nobody has to tell Levana," he stated, "she has her ways of finding out on her own."

"Then you will accept my request, father?" Aemond asked as King Viserys chuckled a response.

"You mean to break an engagement over a baseless rumor?" King Viserys laughed, "you will have to fight me to the death before I allow it."

For a while, Aemond considered his father's challenge. He was a capable fighter but he also imagined that he wouldn't take it to such extremes.

"Aemond," Queen Alicent began, "Levana loves you and gods forbid that you deny that you feel the same about her."

"Mother—"

"We are not blind, Aemond," Queen Alicent added, "you do not look at anyone the way that you look at Levana and the way that you act around her is vastly different."

"And if the rumors are true?" Aemond asked, "what of it then?"

"The Crown denies all rumors that relate to you and Daemon Targaryen," Otto stated, "such a rumor is an act of treason to House Targaryen, and whoever spread it will be found and punished."

"Meanwhile, you will reconcile with Levana," Queen Alicent stated, "and you will take back what you said about breaking your betrothal."

"She deserves more than everything that I have to give," Aemond began, "she will be the Queen."

King Viserys looked at his son and sighed, "Aemond, you are a prince of the House of the Dragon," he began, "no other prince or lord in the Seven Realms can compare to what you have and what you will give to your betrothed."

With that, Aemond nodded and excused himself from the table - he would need to find Levana and make his amends before the princess truly decided to break their engagement because of his actions.

"Galatea," Aemond called as he approached Levana's chambers, "is Eva inside?"

Galatea bowed to the prince and nodded, "she hasn't been coming out for the past few days and even Princess Helaena is worried for her."

For the first time in his life, Aemond felt absolutely stupid.

"Eva," Aemond knocked but was met with no response.