【𝟔𝟗】

"What I want to know is why there were troops from House Greyjoy in Harrenhal!"

Aemond leaned back against his seat as the members of his brother's small council scrambled to try to come up with an explanation. The younger prince smiled to himself as even his grandsire, the Hand, had no explanation for what was happening.

"First Eva and now this," Aegon ranted, "someone better come up with an explanation for this or I will take it upon myself to find answers."

It was only a matter of time before Aemond would escape from the capital to join his wife wherever she was. He knew that Levana was headed west but where specifically; he was not so sure. Nonetheless, he would take Vhagar and fly in that direction — he was going to do everything in his power to join Levana.

"What say you, brother?" Aegon asked, "do you have any input on this?"

"It could be that you have a mole in your council," Aemond began, "how else would they be prepared to defend Harrenhal if there were no moles?"

"A bold accusation," The Hand remarked, "a heavy one at that."

"One that I intend to bring up," Aemond crossed his legs, "do you believe upon yourselves that this all happened without a mole, hm?"

"I suppose the most likely suspect would be you," Aegon pointed out, "you are still Levana's husband and we all know that even if I am to see you in the seven hells, you would still be in love with her."

"Well, my wife does condemn me for causing the death of our children," Aemond laughed, "it's likely that you'll see me in the seven hells very soon."

Aegon chuckled, "I will see to it that the Gullet and nearby areas are secured," he stated before standing up, "you would do well to figure out how my wife escaped from King's Landing otherwise you might lose another dragonrider."

"Aemond," Alicent spoke up, "what do you mean?"

"If my wife isn't found, I intend to find her," Aemond said blankly, "I will not remain here and be used as your pawn while my pregnant wife is nowhere to be found."

Alicent looked at him in shock. She, in the midst of the chaos, had forgotten that her daughter-in-law was with child. This was enough to trigger the alarms in her head - more than anything, she was worried; but also, she didn't know what The Hand and her son would do if they found Levana.

"Let Aemond take charge of patrolling the air, Aegon," Alicent affirmed, "he is our most skilled dragonrider and the best one at that."

Aegon glared.

"What news of the other areas?" The Targaryen King asked, "we've been sitting here like ducks while Rhaenyra is steadily growing and now we have a threat from the Ironborn."

"We're trying our best, Your Grace," Otto responded, "but the Blacks are just as convincing as we are."

"Maybe you aren't convincing enough, Grandsire," Aegon replied, "we have troops being sent out, and for what?"

"Aegon," Alicent looked at her son, "don't."

"What?" Aegon asked, "Grandsire has chosen to delay combat to secure alliances, did he not? Well, it's cost us a number of troops."

"We haven't received replies from most of them, Your Grace," Otto defended, "we are trying our best to secure what we can for the benefit of the crown."

"You haven't even secured The Reach," Aemond pointed out, "based on what I have gathered, you've only received correspondence from House Hightower and House Redwyne, the rest swore to Rhaenyra."