Late with a tang

After the nomu and hero killer fiasco in Hosu, all the students safely returned back to their own homes. You know, far away from said nomu. Kazehira and Todoroki made a deft and speedy escape via the number three hero, Hawks. (Not without lighting a total of four and a half dumpsters on fire and stealing an unnecessary amount of dish soap.) Uraraka, Tokoyami and Iida were given a ride back by a tired Aizawa, and Midoriya's mom wanted to pick him up herself.

So, to pass the time, Midoriya helped out around Hosu. He helped move heavy ruble, pick up trash, stuff like that. A nice middle-aged lady bought him lunch for his hard work, and he did some overall sightseeing. Well, of what was left of Hosu, anyway.

Midoriya checked the time. His phone read, in bold letters, "3:17PM".

'Huh. That's odd. Mom said she'd be here at three?'

Midoriya's mom was a very punctual woman, not to mention she must have a three hour long scolding ready for Midoriya. If anything, he expected her to be early. Midoriya dialed her number.

"This is Inko Midoriya's voicemail, please leave a message!"

Midoriya frowned, shooting his mom a quick text, before setting his phone back down as one of the construction workers called him over.

Midoriya had brushed it off at first, simply thinking his mom was running late because traffic was pretty hectic. With people leaving and entering Hosu by the hundreds, maybe she was just stuck in traffic. And maybe her phone died. (Although, deep down, Midoriya didn't really believe that- at least not fully. His mom always had everything. She was always prepared for every situation, it just didn't make sense. Midoriya was worried.) As the hours ticked by, he only become more and more worried. Night was quickly approaching, and the last train home left at nine. He frowned.

"What's got you down, kiddo?" One of the nice older men, Botan, asked, taking a seat next to Midoriya.

"Ah- sorry! It's just the last train leaves at nine, and I don't have any money on me.." Midoriya scratched the back of his head, cringing at the knots left in his unruly curls.

Botan slapped Midoriya on the back, laughing boisterously. "Not a problem! You've helped us so much already- here! This should cover the ride back, and don't skimp on the snacks, ya' hear me?" Botan grinned, counting out several bills from his wallet and handing them over willy-nilly.

"Buy a souvenir for your mom too! It'll lessen the blow of the lecture, mini-hero!"

Midoriya was so touched he could've cried. And oh- yep, there it is.

"Mr. Botaaaaan!"

"Woah there kid, watch the clothes! Not the snot, not the snot!-"

-

Midoriya hummed happily, a notable pep in his step. He got himself a candy and a couvanir like Mr. Botan suggested, but he'd probably give the rest to his mom. They've been falling a little behind on the bills, what with his mom struggling a bit as of recently. Maybe he should get a part time job to help?-

Midoriya counted each number of the apartment rooms leading up to his, brightening up exponentially once he spotted it.

Except... the door was left ajar.

'Mom never leaves the door unlocked.'

Midoriya's breath hitched, his heart dropping to his stomach.

She was late.

The door was open.

She didn't answer the phone.