Chapter 16

The hardest thing in life is to forgive. But hate is self-destructive. If you hate somebody you’re not hurting the person you hate, you’re hurting yourself. Forgiveness is healing. – Louis Zamperini

                         ★★★★

Fola didn't know how long she stood there but she was unable to tear her eyes away from the person standing in front of her.

What she had feared had come to pass. Someone in the church recognized her. And it had to be him of all people.

"I asked you a question, Glenda. Where have you been." The man's hold on her arm tightened but not tight enough to cause a bruise.

Fola continued to stare at him without saying anything. Her shock slowly faded away and resentment replaced it. She gritted her teeth and broke away from his hold.

"It's none of your business!" Her chin rose in a stubborn tilt.

"Really?" He arched a brow. "I thought we were friends."

"Friends?" She scoffed. "We were never friends, Timi. As much as I try, I can't forget the arduous things you did to me."

"But I apologized and you forgave me." Confusion shimmered in his eyes.

"Psst, I forgave you because it was the Christian thing to do."

"What does that mean? Are you taking your forgiveness back?"

"I wish I could but unfortunately I can't. Nevertheless, I don't intend to forget all your atrocities." She sent him a glare.

He shook his head. "That's not the Christian thing to do. You are supposed to forgive and forget."

"Pfft, who cares?" Fola rolled her eyes. "What are you even doing here?" Her brows rose as she stared at him.

He frowned. "I belong here. This is my church."

"How is that possible?" She frowned. "The last time I checked you didn't even want to hear the word 'church'."

He cracked a smile. "That was ten years ago, Glen. God changed my heart."

Fola digested his words and she couldn't stop feeling bitter and angry.

After all, he did, he found favor in the sight of God.

I did everything to live a holy life but what did I get in return?

Loss and pain.

She clenched her fist by her side and forced the thoughts away. Her eyes drifted back to his face and she couldn't help but notice his physical changes. From a lanky 20-year-old, Timi Tokunbo had become a man with muscles bulging from under the sleeves of his gray button-down shirt. A light stubble covered the lower part of his face. However, regardless of all the changes, his black eyes and afro haircut remained the same.

Her eyes darted away as she caught herself staring for so long. What must he think of her? She wondered.

"Seriously though, I am glad to see you after all these years," he said in a light voice.

Maybe if someone else said it, she would have been happy, but all she felt was rage.

She faced him with cold eyes. "I don't share the sentiment." Her lips thinned and she turned around in the direction she had come. Her trip to the restroom was long canceled.

However, she had barely taken a step forward, when she felt a gentle touch on her hand.

"Will I see you again?"